Windows Vista for Toshiba R25

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Oracle, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trav2003

trav2003 Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my free upgrade to vista in the mail a couple days ago - Checking the drivers and downloads for the R25 on the Toshiba website - looks pretty thorough.

Anything I should know before the upgrade?

Of all those drivers/downloads which do I absolutely need, and which are ones I should probably avoid. The default Tablet PC 2005 install had a ton of crap on it - and i'd prefer to slim it down as much as possible.

Main concerns are these: mutlimedia keys, function keys, and special keys on the base of the screen (directional pad, etc). Will these all work fine (or what do I need to download to ensure they do).

How are the tablet functions in Vista? Any good reviews about it? I know its better integrated, but anything cool/uncool I should know?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

Those two underlined was the only two from Toshiba I installed. Gave me everything I wanted except for maybe the multimedia buttons on the left of the keyboard. And as long as you get the Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, you'll get full Tablet PC functionality as XP:TE. I'd say much better than XP:TE.

3. trav2003

Thanks - looks good. I was reading up on Vista and it's tablet PC support and it does look good. Moving my files over soon and will be installing!

4. trav2003

I'm up and running on Vista - it looks nice. Two things (guess I can't complain if these are my only two problems).

1) The multimedia keys do not work - what needs to be installed or what settings changed to make these work?

2) Is there a way to use the function keys without having the "filecards". It appears when I disable file cards I can't use the function keys. Or if you can't disable file cards is there a way to prevent them from appearing at the top or bottom of the screen?

Thanks

5. trav2003

Okay now 2 questions:

1) Multimedia keys - what needs to be installed for them to work?

2) When I open the lid my battery is down to 75% or so depending on how long my laptop is off. I assume instead of completely powering down, it goes into some special standby mode. Is there a way to change this (true hibernation?) instead of whatever its doing now? I don't recall my battery running down in whatever off mode it was on before.

6. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

An answer to your second question:

Right click on the battery icon in the taskbar and choose "power options". You can then "choose what closing the lid does" from the panel down the left-hand side.

Sleep is like standby in XP but it now automatically wakes up from standby and enters hibernate instead if the battery gets too low to stay in standby.

Hope that helps.

7. trav2003

Thanks - that's what I was looking for, but I don't recall having ever lost battery when its on hibernate in the past.

Is there an in between setting like hibernate, where I don't lose power in sleep mode, but don't have to fully restart each time?

8. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

You shouldn't be losing any power in hibernate at all. In fact you should be able to remove the battery and AC lead and then put them back again and it should wake up from hibernate as usual.

I'm not too sure what you mean by fully restarting each time but in hibernate it should wake up in about 15-20 seconds, and from sleep it takes about 5 seconds.

The complete list of power down options available in vista is:

Sleep - like standby, uses a small amount of power to keep the RAM alive, very quick to start again.

Hibernate - uses no power, saves state of computer to the hard disk, takes a bit longer to start again.

Turn off - shuts down windows completely, takes a very long time to start up again.

Hybrid sleep - does both hibernate and sleep at the same time, this is good if for example you have to change the battery on your laptop, then the hibernate function allows you to quickly get back to what you were doing. If you don't need to remove the battery you get the benefit of the quick start up from the sleep mode. This is more suited to desktops apparently though.

I hope that all makes sense...

9. thundermax

thundermax Pen Pal - Newbie

i totally forgot about the free upgrade, i just went to the toshiba upgrade page and it isn't accepting my info. grrrrrrrr

EDIT: After a few emails, I was finally given a number to call, but then they couldn't find my info - eek. I guess my info was bonked when I first entered it. Luckily they were able to take my order again, even though the free upgrade period has ended. Whew!

EDIT 2: Did you have to pay Shipping, Taxes and Duties for your "free" upgrade?

10. trav2003

I had to pay some kind of tax. I think it was like $6 or $8.

As for what I mentioned above:

When I close the lid It's set to "sleep" not hibernate. I understand hibernate won't use any power - but its sleeping and it does use power. Looking through all the settings I can't find anything abo ut hibernate, I'm either given "sleep" or "power off".

Another question: In the advanced power options theres a cooling setting (i assume the fan) it doesn't seem to slow down or off the fan when I fiddle with it - but is there a way to change the fan speed? It seems to be going full blast all the time which isn't terrible, but can be a bit annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.