Windows Task Manager accidentally getting activated through adjusting screen???

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve B, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I am having a rather odd experience with my new x230t. The Windows Task Manager keeps getting accidentally activated, and takes me to that alternate screen. At first, I thought I was somehow hitting ctrl+ alt+ del, or some alternate keyboard combo, but I just figured out this morning that I can activate it by... literally... wobbling my screen forwards and backwards while specifically holding the left hand side of the screen. ???? That just sounds crazy to me, but it's true.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this??? I usually hold part of the palm rest down at the same time, for ergonomics, but it doesn't matter which side of the palm rest I use, it does it. It also doesn't matter if I grab the right hand side of the screen, or the top, and adjust the screen that way.???? So strange. Looking for input.

I don't think there's a direct connection from the screen to the keyboard, but there is the Ctrl-Alt-Del button on the screen itself, down at the bottom right. Could I, in some way, be activating it/ hitting a wire, etc when I exert some force to the back of the left hand side of the screen?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I'll need to check this. Is this in tablet form?

Taking you to that alternate screen is not part of your issue. By default Task Manager will always take precedence once triggered. if you can't come up with a solution, in the mean time you can go (in Task Manager) to Options and unselect "Always on Top".

The x230t has a bezel button that by default brings up Task Manager when pressed. It may be that the button is making bad contact and shorting by simply moving around or putting pressure to the area near it. In the event it is this and you don't want to crack open the bezel area (it's held by screws covered nicely with round flat plastic tacks) you can download this application from Lenovo (can't remember its name) that is actually used to assign custom hotkeys to those buttons and disable them.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. Steve B

Ah, yes- I wondered if there was a way to simply disable that specific button. I'll never use it. Will try and hunt out the Lenovo program. Perhaps I already have it installed?

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Hey @Steve B
    Did you find out what was going on with your x230t. I remained curious.

This is the software I was talking about. Cleft mentioned it here. I've never used it tho.

5. Steve B

What's strange is that I have that installed, but it only allows me to re-set what the rotation button does, not the task manager button. The task manager button doesn't even show up when I go in to that section of the control panel. Would love to try and just make the button do nothing, but can't seem to access it???