Windows tablet with digitizer for digital art/sketching and note-taking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by BearPerson, Nov 27, 2017.

1. BearPerson

BearPerson Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Around 300 USD.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows tablet or convertible.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    Preferably between 8 and 11 inches.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Living in Denmark, but as long as shipping does not increase the cost too much, I don't care.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not in particular.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6 hours at least would be nice.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Digital art/sketching and note-taking, possibly some surfing and word processing.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    One Note, Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    I might play some games, but I generally have other devices for that purpose.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Nothing below 1280x720.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Would certainly be a big plus.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Pen with pressure sensitivity. Whatever works.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 64 GB would be nice, along with a microSD slot. 4 gigs of RAM would probably be nice.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    MicroSD and full-sized USB would be great.

I have had an Asus Vivotab Note 8 until now, although I broke it while trying to fix the pen issue. Currently I am considering an Asus Transformer Mini T102HA, though I have heard bad things about its performance.

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yao and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. BearPerson

Specs-wise it doesn't necessarily look more powerful than the Transformer Mini or the Surface 3 (not pro), both of which I've seen for cheaper refurbished/used. Is it the M3 processor that makes it better?

4. surfaceproartist

The m3-7Y30 is significantly faster than any Atom processor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In the used realm for slim-line modern tablets, unless you go with an old Surface Pro 1 (which I wouldn't recommend due to the sealed unit having a non-replaceable battery), you don't really have too many great options. The best I can think of is the Samsung Series 7 Slate...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Se...243324&hash=item2a97450e91:g:nHUAAOSwX3FaEROJ

-You can definitely stay within your budget with that machine, but having played with one for an evening, (a friend had bought one), I'd not recommend it.

It does run Windows nicely, and it does have a decent chipset, (and a replaceable battery), AND Wacom EMR, but.., the tablet concept was still cutting its teeth and wasn't refined yet. Microsoft hadn't yet brought the folio keyboard idea into the spotlight, so the Samsung needed a fully separate keyboard which was awkward to carry around.

-To test it out, I did a little painting on the machine, and it was a workable experience but not particularly satisfying. The technology has definitely come a long way since then.

For one thing, the screen resolution was low enough (1366 x 768) that Photoshop's longer dropdown menus extended beyond the bottom of the screen, so you couldn't click on certain items without fudging around. It was a good step forward at the time, (a bunch of us were really excited about its release; it was the first full windows machine in a tablet form irc), but its limitations made it kind of frustrating and left me non-plussed.

Given the choice, I'd definitely go with Sufraceproartist's suggestion and opt for newer hardware.

If you increase your budget a bit, then things change and some of the later Surface Pro machines become options as used items. The SP3 was when things were really beginning to click into place. They're around $400-500 on eBay.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  6. BearPerson

Thanks again. I am currently considering a cheap used Surface Pro 2 that I found.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

That looks pretty amazing for the price. Just curious, have you purchased from Gearbest or gotten reliable input that it is trustworthy? Seems like all the reviews are positive, though I didn't look around for other products. Thanks for adding this vendor to awareness - and for your many contributions to the user community!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I’m curious. It has a keyboard dock and looks light and slim, while the core m will help it be useful for getting some actual work done. does it have-
    -EMR pen?
    -LTE? (Couldn’t find any info)
    -silo? (Didn’t look like it)

Any reviews that talk about the keyboard, or whether it’s top-heavy as a laptop?

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I take they still are using the SP1/2 display?

10. surfaceproartist

I've bought a couple of Cube products from Gearbest.com. No problems so far.

My only reservation on the Mix Plus is that it runs exceptionally hot. But performance is very good.
    http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2017/1/8/kaby-lake-cube-mix-plus-excels-despite-its-low-price