Windows Tablet - What is the Best

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by WithaVision, Nov 7, 2012.

1. WithaVision

WithaVision Pen Pal - Newbie

I am new to tablets, this will be my first one...

I am looking for a windows tablet that runs windows genuinely just like a laptop. Is it my understanding this is not capable with Windows 8? (isn't this OS on tablets more "app" based?)

For example, if I want to download and install a program, lets say pokerstars on my tablet, run the program and play....is this possible with the Windows 8 tablets?

It would be nice to have wifi and 3G - (by the way are there fee's for 3G with tablet use?)

I am basically looking for the best tablet that runs windows like a laptop, is quick, has decent storage, and has wifi and 3G...I am not looking to do anything crazy with the tablet - just play online poker, browse the internet, type documents, and maybe watch a few videos....

Any help?

Thanks a lot!

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any "tabletPC" touting "Windows 8" is a fully functioning tablet running windows. "Media tablets" (like the ipad and the galaxy note) run android and other app based operating systems that you are wanting to avoid.

Windows 8 is the newest windows, and you can treat it as such, however, windows 8 RT is sort of an android-like limited version of Windows 8. You'll want to avoid windows 8 RT devices too, they would not be able to install all windows programs, AFAIK.

As long as a tablet says windows 8, your good to go.

Just clearing that up! I'll let the others on here suggest a good tablet for poker, internet, word, and HD video. I am not really sure which one to recommend, as its not really my area of interest, ( I prefer powerful artist machine tablets) but I DO love playing online poker from time to time!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. Tablet_Fan

Tablet_Fan Pen Pal - Newbie

Well being a lurker, you've come to the right place lot's and lot's of very informed, well versed tablet aficionados :) How much do you want to spend? Yep, 3g got a fee :(

As for me I'm hanging tough for a Microsoft Surface Pro .....

BTW Welcome & Hi everybody :cool:

4. WithaVision

Budget is up to $1,200....It does not necessarily have to have 3G, but would be nice......

When does the Microsoft Surface Pro come out? and is it true the surface out now only comes with Windows 8 RT?

5. Tablet_Fan

6. WithaVision

7. Tablet_Fan

Microsoft is suggesting 90 days from the release or the Win8 OS, that would make it mid Jan or so. Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few million units ready to ship right before Christmas. Realistically that would depend on any hiccups....

Standing By :)