Windows seven news

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Kyle Porter, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

2. zanchin

zanchin Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

As soon as a public beta is out, this is going straight on my tablet. It was reported windows seven ran great, not just barely, on a 1ghz netbook with 1gb of ram. It only used 500mhz of the processor and 512mb of ram, not optimized.

4. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

Well so far Build 6801 of Windows 7 is running very well...

47 processes on startup which includes the tablet bits, RMClock, & TPFanControl.

As I type this, RAM usage is under 35%, it starts and shuts down around 5 seconds faster than Vista and it is all around more snappy.

IE8 runs nicely with each tab assigned it's own process. Which really helps keep memory usage low while surfing the web with multiple tabs.

So far my biggest issue has been getting a virtual CD emulator to work... I'm working on this though...

So far I love it... I'm just not ready to make it my only OS during school... Dual booting was super easy though.

1)Make a new partition
    2)Install 7 in the new partition
    3)Use Vista disk to repair the Vista install
    4)You may need to go into 7 to make it recognize the Vista partition my going into Disk Management and giving the Vista partition a drive letter

I'll post more comments as I have them. I can also answer any questions...

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm. I didn't need to do any of that. I made a new partition, installed 7 to it, and that was that. To change Vista to be the default boot, start>run msconfig and you can select the default and change the timeout in the Boot tab.

6. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

Have you tried a dual-boot Win7 and XP/TPC layout?

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

XP and Vista/Win7 use a different method for their boot process. However, if you have XP installed first, I believe that the Vista/Windows7 installer sets it up automatically. You'd have to use the Vista/Windows7 built in boot configuration that I referred to above to change the options.

However, I'm not entirely sure what happens then if you get rid of the Vista/Windows 7 partition, you might have the need to repair XP's install after that to get it to boot properly.

But anyway, shouldn't be any different from this: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepbystep_guide_with_screenshots.htm?page=1

8. Seanmten

Seanmten Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to stop in and post some of my thoughts after using Windows 7 (build 6801.)
    The new features are fantastic thus far! the new taskbar is fantastic (enabled through here) for tablet use. I'm not certain if this is new to 7 or was around for vista, it never presented itself for me, but now when calibrating for the first time, instead of one point in each corner there are four, creating better accuracy. I'm still taking some time to get used to the new TIP, with the new recognition changing to actual text instead of the "balloons" I find myself writing much further out after each word to allow for the auto recognition to pick up my last words. And something I'm not sure if GBM posted about was that you are able to call back to character pad instead of just working with the writing pad. One of the other major advances (for me) is that there is now a "dim screen brightness after x minutes" option instead of fully turning off the display. I'll try to post anything else I find that I haven't seen reported yet. Are there any other features anybody else has found who is testing build 6801? Like I said, fantastic so far! =]

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Seanmten

Seanmten Pen Pal - Newbie

Another thing that I've noticed was that when entering an address in IE8 with the TIP the suggested sites dropdown covers up the "Go To" button. Can anybody verify that this is happening for them also, or is it because of a possible personal setting I changed? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

10. pattertj

pattertj Tablet Tweaker

I can confirm your issue... I would use the "send feedback" tool to let them know about it. It is fairly annoying... I agree though, the whole OS is really great.

One thing I found nice is that in the power options you have the option to turn the CPU speed down before kicking on the fan to save both the noise and power while using your computer... ingenious idea IMO.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.