Windows Server 2008 on tx2500z

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jigjig, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

On the recommendation of several people, I installed Win Server 2008 (fresh install) on the HP tx2500z. I installed all the drivers from the HP site, but can't get touchscreen to work - Has anyone here had any success with this?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

as far as i know there is no tablet functionality in window server 2008.

Even if you get the pen to be recognized you are not going ot have character recognition functionality.

You might want to try a manual install & point to C:\swsetup\SP39280\System32\Drivers where the drivers normally install.

3. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

Why would you want Server 2008 on a tablet PC?

Alan

4. Robtang

Robtang Scribbler - Standard Member

Its been a long long long long time since it was a good idea to install a server OS on a consumer system. whoever reccomended it is living in the past.

the whole os is optimised for background tasks, its not designed for someone to be constantly sitting in front of it. dont expect good performace for anything other than server tasks.

and doesn't win server 2008 standard cost 5x the price of vista ultimate ?

5. jigjig

jigjig Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info, I might go back to Vista then.

6. JordanN

JordanN Pen Pal - Newbie

I run Windows Server 2008 x86_46 on my home desktop. I works fantastically! The performance is awesome, and I couldn't really ask for more. Since I am a student, I got it free from Dreamspark. You might have a look at Windows2008Workstation.com .

I do not plan on putting it on my tablet, however. I run Vista Ultimate (x86_64) scaled down for performance. Ultimate wasn't my first choice, but I needed to get the notebook quickly, and it was what Best Buy had specified for their model (tx2525nr). I intend to keep Vista due to the tablet features and because I know it works.

I do dual-boot with Ubuntu Studio on my notebook, but I don't use it much because I haven't gotten the tablet/touch features to work. ACPI is still messed up, too, last I checked.

7. Modnar

Modnar Pen Pal - Newbie

No its not going to work but Server 2008 R2 will have have some tablet functionality in it (no idea for sure what as Ive been meaning to dl the beta) so as I know its to enable ink recog through things such as silverlight.

Some of us need to use it for testing and developing software for servers (I would but I just remote desktop now much easier). but yes it seems rather odd to say to the least.