Windows RT Will Continue with Win10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ed Hardy, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Microsoft says Windows RT will continue in some form with Win10. The company told CNET "We are working on an update for [the Windows RT version of] Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10." But that's all we know right now.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Seems more like an afterthought or a bone to throw to RT buyers. Dead end for RT?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I get the same feeling. I still think it was a good idea to try an ARM device. If it had caught on it would have been a boat load of money. I think the risk/reward was good considering their relatively deep pockets, but it didn't seem to catch on.

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The project was launched at a time that Windows tablets were very expensive and had relatively short battery lives, and WinRT was intended to give buyers better options. But since then (as you all know) the price for good tablets running the regular version has dropped to about $200 or even less, and new processors have greatly extended the time a WinTab can go on a single charge. So there's just not much need for WinRT

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Ah, yes. The question, however, is if Intel would have come out with their aggressive Atom cycle plan and the Core-M if Microsoft did not make an ARM based version of the OS. Would we still be using single core Atom chips with 2 GB of RAM (max)? Would we still have i-core CPU's with 3 hour battery life and huge fans if Microsoft didn't shun Intel?

jnjroach likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.