windows power laptop with stylus

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by drmatt, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

The new Lenovo P50 is a powerful traditional laptop (i7-6700HQ or Xeon CPUs and Quadro graphics) and also has Wacom (AES) stylus support if you believe one of their websites:

https://www.thinkworkstations.com/thinkpad/

Click "Superior Display", then "FHD Touch Panels" and you'll see it mentioned. I'm not sure if the model currently on sale supports it (Lenovo is terrible at clearly communicating things like this), but despite being a little large, it seems to hit all your marks.

EDIT: I just tried to build one on their site, and I DO have the option to add the ThinkPad Pro Pen if I pick the FHD Touch display option (it goes away if you select FHD non-touch or the 4K version). Man, that's a pretty sweet setup if you don't mind drawing on that form factor.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. drmatt

drmatt Scribbler - Standard Member

@TruenoGT - sorry for the late response, thanks for the information. The p50 does indeed look to have pen pro option and does hit all the requirements. The only down side is that it's pretty large and heavy - 15x10 inches, over an inch thick, nearly 6.5 lbs. But certainly worth a look. Wonder if I could get my hands on one, just to see if I could live with the form factor.

3. Aaron Bramson

Aaron Bramson Pen Pal - Newbie

The unit I see that's currently closest to these desiderata is the Sony Flip Z (http://us.vaio.com/vaio-z-flip). It's N-Trig instead of Wacom (and therefore no silo in the unit) so that's inferior, but the size, form factor, resolution, RAM, SSD etc are all good spec. I no other tablet PC get released (or at least announced with firm release dates) in the next couple of months then I'll go for this one. In general I prefer the kind with the removable keyboard, but I also want the laptop form factor when typing (like the Toshiba PORTEGE Z20T...which will soon have an updated version that is great except the mobile processor). The flip setup may be good, but I'll try it in a store before buying one.

4. drmatt

@Aaron Bramson - glad you found a model that might meet your needs. For me, the flip z form factor is fantastic, and ntrig vs wacom is not a dealbreaker, but I believe it's only offered with u-series skylake (no quad core) and iris graphics (no dgpu). So it falls into the same category as several other models like the thinkpad yoga 260, dell inspiron 13 7000, etc. Great ultrabooks with stylus, but not for intensive processing tasks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. drmatt

@Kumabjorn do you have any more information about the Anoto devices? Would this turn the ordinary touchscreen into an active-digitizer-like surface, with pressure sensitivity etc? Alternatively, are there other devices/pens, like the fabled YuFu pro, that can bring this functionality to windows computers that don't already have a digitizer?

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@drmatt you'll need to reinforce hinge with something to ensure drawing comfort on a usual laptop. What you describe is one problem leading to another. By getting Cintiq Companion Hybrid and 15" Clevo P75xDM you'll get best of both worlds, just treat as a nice portable 2 monitor setup. It will literally rape anything mentioned in this thread, performance-wise. Also, 64GB RAM coupled with 2xNGFF and 2x2.5" for storage will keep you entertained upgrading it. Yes, it will cost a lot - but totally worth it if you're not willing to accept compromises available on the market.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Since I'm no longer in Sweden my access isn't what it used to be, but Anoto is primarily focused on vertical markets. So unless an OEM wants to put something out there I think it might be a while.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.