Windows on ARM - Will WOA WOW?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dstrauss, Jul 22, 2017.

1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I can kind of understand that, except the average user won't want to look at devices with $800 starting point. Most "average users" are looking at what they can get around $500. It's only the tech enthusiasts, power users, or people with lots of cash that consider more expensive machines. If you look at Amazon's laptop best sellers list, in the top 20 there is only one Macbook air, one gaming laptop, and one Asus ultrabook above 600. Not many people are going to pay$800 and up for "good enough" performance. If people are spending that kind of money they want good performance. IMO it's a bad price point for something new. Not enough people are going to give it a chance to realize the battery benefits WOA needs to really take off.

bloodycape and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Not many people are going to pay$800 and up for "good enough" performance. If people are spending that kind of money they want good performance...>>

...Your comment about the price point is well made, but bear in mind that battery operating life is also a performance parameter. There are a lot of people out there who are willing to pay a premium price for an "adequately performing" iPad who value the fact that they can use it for a few days between charges.

Obviously, we'll see how this turns out. Maybe there are lower range products in the pipeline that we'll see later in the year...???

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't understand, with the cost of an ARM CPU so much less than Intel hardware, how the ODMs can justify prices hovering around $800. It makes no sense for this type of device. I also don't understand the use of 12 and 13" displays. I would think that WOA is perfect for smaller devices like 10" or 8" tablets.

dellaster, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

That is true, but it is only true of iPad. There is something called an Apple tax. There's a reason iPad is still the best selling tablet. There aren't nearly as many people who would pay that kind of money for equal battery life in a windows machine, never mind 800 and up. I'm not saying there's no one this appeals to, but it seems to me it's a tiny niche, rather than mass appeal, which is a shame. IMO, another chance to get average people excited about new windows devices gone begging.

5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can see the attraction for that specialized niche of business travelers, etc., who need exceptionally long battery life and always-on LTE capability above everything else (they’re selling stuff in the Australian outback, far far away from electric plugs, and they didn’t think of solar power, or something?). Even if it means settling for something with about the same performance as the old Surface 3, but a lot heavier and bigger.

There’s a reason that Apple shoots for 10 hours of battery endurance on their tablets and phones: the niche of people who want and need more than that is too tiny. At least, that’s the way I see it. Normal people don’t go more than 10 hours straight and they plug-in every night.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I suppose the 20hr battery is aimed for insomniacs.
    While 10hr battery is great, most people would probably go for 12hr if they could get it. 8hr work, 4hr play.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Look sports fans - WOA on a Lumia 1520

It's a work in progress, but pretty cool nonetheless...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Chris_Kez and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm actually not at all surprised. They (and consumers) were burned by smaller disappointing tablets in the Windows 8 era. They'll start in the lower end of the current sweet spot and push the idea that for the same money you sacrifice a little top end performance to get much better battery life, instant on and a built in LTE option. They were never going to sell these at a price that undercut their comparable Intel based products.
    Maybe next year we see smaller devices or more daring innovations. They need to have some hope that there's a market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But it then becomes a chicken or the egg problem - without the small and daring, what’s to create interest? It’s not going to be enough to tout LTE and battery.

Bronsky, dellaster and Chris_Kez like this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed. I think we'll eventually see some neat stuff but not now. It seems Microsoft is still putting in place some of the pieces of the software puzzle, and of course everyone will be working to get the 845 running. Maybe later this year or in the first half of next year we'll see something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk