Windows on ARM - Will WOA WOW?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dstrauss, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The average user has no idea what he is doing and most have no idea how much faster a real workstation is.
    I know a lot of offices that still use C2D or AMD A-Series machines and are quite OK with the performance in their office.
    They probably would more benefit from an SSD then from a faster CPU

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Time to kick the tires again now that we have entered August - only 51 days until Fall, 41 days until iPhone 8 debut (guessing) and 21 days until @Bronsky 's new Galaxy Note 8 (and only 145 days until Christmas).

Sure has been quiet about WOA news. I'm beginning to wonder if the "semi-announced" Surface Pro with LTE is really going to be Microsoft's first WOA release. Just like doing a high end laptop for the release of Windows 10 S, could Microsoft be planning an ultra-slim, no fan, WOA with LTE? Going toe-to-toe with iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9, but with full Windows goodness, up to 8gb RAM and 512gb SSD...sing along...

Santa baby, slip a WOA under the tree for me
    Been an awful good geek
    Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a new improved pen too, light blue
    I'll wait up for you

Think of all the fun I've missed
    Think of all the tablets that I haven't kissed
    Next year I could be also good
    If you'll check off my Christmas list

Santa honey, I want a tablet and really that's not a lot
    Been an angel (?) all year

Santa cutie, there's one thing I really do need, the lead
    To a wireless future indeed
    Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, and fill my stocking with accessories
    Sign your 'x' on the line

Come and trim my Christmas tree
    With some decorations bought at Microsofty (oops)
    I really do believe in you
    Let's see if you believe in me

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing, the pen
    That's not stored in the open
    Hurry down the chimney tonight
    Hurry, tonight

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I was just thinking to myself that it was time to start hearing about WOA if it is to debut in the fall. Should be some devices already in production at this point. I don't think we'll see anything for the holidays. I think we'll hear about it at CES in January or thereabouts. If Microsoft gets into the game, I hope they update the S3. If it's ARM, it should have LTE built in. I think the Pro 4 with Intel I-Core will be getting LTE too.

4. dstrauss

Interesting piece over at Windows Central of an editor drooling to replace his iPP 9.7 for a SurfacePad WOA...

WHAT IF - Microsoft offered a WOA upgrade for the iPad Pro - too many Apple patents to avoid?

thierryb and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Yes. That would be interesting. But, at first I would not expect to see anything like that, given the efforts to release WOA designed specifically for the Snapdragon 835. I would like to see Samsung convert the S3 to a WOA device with an S-Pen. I really would expect Samsung to be on top of this. It looks like the GB10 and 12 are selling better than I anticipated. It might entice them into getting involved in WOA.

Edit: I have to say that the rumor that MS is designing a touch cover for an Ipad leaves one to wonder if MS is not thinking about offering a new OS for the IPad. What a great move that could be. http://www.techradar.com/news/a-microsoft-touch-cover-for-ipads-could-be-in-the-works

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have to say that the rumor that MS is designing a touch cover for an Ipad leaves one to wonder...>>

...For what it's worth, Thurrott refutes this idea:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/ios/131933/microsoft-touch-cover-ipad-unlikely

However, I have to say that the fact that a document like this even exists should certainly give one pause. With regard to an "alternate" Microsoft OS for the iPad, I don't see that at all. Apple has disparaged Windows for years on the basis that it is clunky compared to the "polished" operation of the iPad. Condoning a Microsoft OS would be a complete about-face...

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Thinking about it though, the touch cover is basically useless without a kickstand. Looking at the new Logitec stand/keyboard for the 10.5" IPad made me think about it. https://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-slim-combo-for-ipad-pro/review/

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got to thinking seriously that MS should hurry up with this WOA thing. I realized today that the DVP8 for all the praises I've heaped on it, is heavily flawed almost to the point of useless. Had to do a Skype lesson and the darn thing was a huge disappointment, too slow, inaudible voice, etc. And it is arguably the best 8" atom tablet with 4gb ram. My android phone could have done better but I needed the windows tablet in order to easily access the file explorer and send some word docs during the session.
    Dear Dale's Santa, I'll attest to his good behavior this year, pls send us that WOA device and could you also bring it this fall, Xmas might be too far away?

Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  9. Bronsky

10. dstrauss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.