Windows on ARM - Will WOA WOW?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dstrauss, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

AES - say it ain't so Joe, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hold up, I might be wrong there. It says Samsung S-Pen, does that mean EMR? :oops: There's now so many pen technologies out there (AES/EMR/NTrig/Apple/SonyDPT/...), I'm losing the plot!

Edit: oh great, S-Pen means EMR, and no battery in the stylus. So yep, I was wrong. Awesome!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    thatcomicsguy and dstrauss like this.
  3. dstrauss

Just realized we started this discussion 18 months ago, and all we have to show for it so far are a couple of lackluster 835's and the Galaxy Book2...

And who'd have thunk Apple would be pushing laptop class processors in their phones by now...

JoeS likes this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

I can confirm that it is S Pen so yes it's EMR. Getting mine on Feb 19 (arg! That's a lifetime away)

JoeS likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Or long enough for GB2 - v.2...

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's just mean :D

Pretty close though, he'll receive it one week before MWC, and I'll get to unpack mine only seven weeks earlier.

upload_2018-12-20_14-50-51.png

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

:)

8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows phone effort was so painful for those who really wanted to support it. Windows mobile fans are a cautionary tale for all fans of all brands, especially techfans. Not making a stylus based Phablet was the biggest miscalculation by Microsoft. They never made a phone that was aspirational, even after acquiring Nokia. Samsung was able to bring parallax free EMR displays into the phone market with just a 5% stake in Wacom. Even after buying out NTrig, they have not been able to eliminate the initial activation force from their Pen digitizers. The only thing worthwhile the Lumia team came up with was cameras and only thing Surface team can do good is Hinge. With their Surface line up, they pioneered the tablet workstation concept and for all practical purposes, they handed it over to Apple, which dominates the market with it's iPad pro range. It's just amusing, a cheap non pro iPad has better Pen, better apps, better battery life than Surface go. And iPad comparatively, is a way more complete device in it's scope with or without a keyboard cover. Now, with USB c coming to iPads and possibility of a penabled iPadmini with pencil. All Apple needs to kill off any Surface/Andromeda foldable penabled prototype, is just announcing a new ipad mini with Pencil support. it will not be too unpocketable, when compared to gigantic flagships Huwawei and Samsung are offering these days. And when the foldable phone/tablet convertible hardware manufacturing has matured enough. Apple will just buy the techt and do a better job of implementing it.

dellaster likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

Still waiting on the GB2 (drums fingers on table)

JoeS likes this.
  10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apple runs ARM chips, the best inking tabletcomputer is iPadPro. So, yes if code is stream lined Windows can definitely run on ARM and run beautifully without any compromise in power.

Now, that the pen remoting is a reality now. The penabled tablet pc doesnt need to be your main computer. Just a window to your main computer in home or cloud. ARM is more than adequate for that if the inrernet connectivity is good enough.

I am waiting for the day when pen remoting becomes officially supported for iOS. Then i can buy the cheapest ipad pro model with the Apple pencil and do pen remoting to use the real desktop software.

dellaster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.