Windows on ARM - Will WOA WOW?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dstrauss, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Funny how close I can get to my ideal device with an IPad, including running a full version of WordPerfect

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:confused: WordPerfect on an iPad - no way - no way...

Bronsky likes this.
  3. dstrauss

I thought you were pulling my leg, but Googled it and Corel supposedly released an iPad App in 2014 - bu t not in store - are you running legacy software? Or was that a hoax?

Reason I ask is our oil & gas title examining lawyers use WordPerfect ( I know, the shame, the shame...)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Loved WordPerfect back when it was a DOS application. They never did manage the conversion to GUI though. How do you get WordPerfect on to an iPad? I'd love to test it.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. dstrauss

So is this Christmas 2019 stuff?

Seems the HP Envy X2 on ARM and Lenovo Miix are on sale at Amazon, but what is interesting to me is that they are the same size and weight as my GB 12 (8gb/256gb) model with Core i5 and Wacom goodness. I don't get "always on connectivity" but then again I don't even have 4g LTE built in (only by tethering my phone). Seems to me with the same form factor, I'm not losing much staying in the full Windows x86 experience.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yup, just battery life. That's what we all complained about when they first announced these. The ARM versions were supposed to allow small low-cost lightweight long battery life devices. Turns out these first models scrapped three of those four attributes. Bad choice..

dellaster likes this.
  9. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

To the extent that we were hoping for PC makers to immediately jump in with new form factors that were smaller and lighter, I think we had unrealistic expectations for the first ARM products in the market. It makes more sense for these companies to slipstream the ARM processors and limit the manufacturing complexities and downside risk. However, if we don't see any form-factor innovation in 2019-- after an anticipated Andromeda launch, and after Microsoft formally introduces things like Windows Core OSl and CShell-- then I will be disappointed in ARM. It is still very early days.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm suddenly very interested in this thread again because I have a Book2 incoming. I found a side-by-side comparison video of an SD835 device and a Kaby Lake i5 Y series device. It's not very technical, but it's really nicely done. They set up two machines side by side, and give them the exact same inputs. As expected, Chrome is woefully slow, but Edge is running basically the same on the two machines.

The SD850 in the Book2 should be even better. One thing I'm really curious about is Full Office 365 performance. I wish they had included that in their comparison as well. If anyone has firsthand experience, I'm interested. (edit: we have an answer). I might just stick with S-Mode for a while to see how that works.
    Comparing your killer device with the Book2:
    9.7" NOPE (12)
    OLED tablet YEP
    siloed NOPE
    EMR pen YEP (S-Pen, thanks @dstrauss)
    More than one USB-C port YEP
    backlighting on its keyboard YEP
    go with a kickstand (never happen) IT DID!!

So that's five yeps including one omg yep and two nopes. Close, but no cigar.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Bronsky and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.