Windows on ARM - Will WOA WOW?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dstrauss, Jul 22, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Every time Microsoft drops another line/software/service I see their secret motto:

[​IMG]

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

haha!

And then they sometimes try to fail again. Like their ebook store for Edge browser. They must figure that people have short memories and can't remember back to 2011 when Microsoft closed their ebookstore (remember Reader and .lit format?) Everyone who bought .lit ebooks lost access to them, except for those still on their device(s), which could never be transferred unless they were savvy enough to break the DRM and convert to a viable ebook format (not the average customer, to say the least).
    https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-cancels-its-reader-e-book-app/

Nuh-uh, Microsoft, I think I'll stick with Kindle ebooks.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dellaster likes this.
  5. dellaster

Yeah, with that speed bump it might finally become a better experience than my old Fujitsu Q584 with its Bay Trail Atom. And maybe ARM64 app selection will expand.

But it still has the limitation that 64-bit Windows desktop programs will never run on WOA. Which means a primary attraction of a portable system like that, for me: taking care of RAW photography, will also never happen. Both of my photography programs, Capture One (for Sony) and Affinity Photo need 64-bit Windows to operate. The same is true for any modern photography program of any merit, Windows or Mac.

So I've given up on WOA, regardless of how much they improve the speed or even reduce the price. It's a dead end for my needs and desires. Between a smartphone like the Note 8 and a device capable of processing RAW photography (and everything else, including gaming) like my Surface Book, there's no reason to consider a middle-ground gimped device like that.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't get Microsoft's overall strategy with WOA. I would have thought that it would have been perfect for the low-power end of the 2 in 1 tablet lines. So, when Microsoft decides to finally build another version of the Surface 3, it omits ARM power in favor of Intel.

7. dellaster

Same strategy as Windows RT (whatever that was) but addressing the complaints by some important business clients that they couldn't run certain old but crucial Win32 apps in a pinch, even if it had to be very slowly and poorly? :shrug:

8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I can only guess that with this rumored new Surface they're focused on compatibility and price (Snapdragon 845 chips will not be in $400 devices this fall). Also there is less risk of confusion among consumers about what this new 10" Surface will be- a smaller, cheaper, less powerful version of Surface Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think WOA is ultimately going to be DOA, just like RT, but may hang around on life support a little longer. It's like my struggles with a note taking device to go with my SB2 - I find the Office apps on iOS to be easier to use than Android (just me I think) but either platform is serviceable. The key is with MS deprecating OneNote 2016, and I see much work going into UWP instead of 32-bit apps, there will come a day in the near future that you may as well run the cross-platform version as the watered-down UWP version on ARM - and I've yet to see if a prospective WOA tablet worthy of comparison to my iPP 10.5. Now, if Samsung would build a WOA Tab S4 with Snapdragon 845 and a siloed S-Pen, I'd be on it like a duck on a bug...

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I thought we had a shot of seeing a Tab S4 Snapdragon 845 (no siloed pen however as that ship has sailed at Samsung) but I'm not so sure ARM has any interest in supporting a cross platform device that can run on Android or WOA.