Windows Journal... seems gone in the Anniversary Update (Updated with Link to Journal)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mathartist, Aug 2, 2016.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. I wanted to wait and see, but I believe it fixed thanks... no for an off topic or perhaps you can send me to the right thread. at this point in time, which stylus technology is best for artists? I had always thought Wacom EMR (my fujitsus) were best. thanks.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Wacom EMR vs. N-Trig vs. Wacom AES

My personal ranking:

1. Apple Pencil
    (save this space for next-gen Microsoft Pen?)
    2. Wacom Samsung EMR (without edge issues)
    3. Wacom Feel EMR only for artists who are willing to suffer edge drift in exchange for very responsive inking
    4. Wacom AES (late 2016)
    5. Microsoft Pen (2016)
    6. N-trig DuoSense 2
    7. Synaptics (late 2016)
    8. Wacom AES (early 2016)
    9. Old N-trig
    10. Capacitive pen / finger
    11. Old Synaptics
    13. Old Atmel
    1 is almost as responsive as a physical pen, 2-3 are great, 4-6 are very good, 7 is good, 8-9 are frustrating, 10-13 are barely usable.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Really, Apple Pencil??? I tried it and it was crap. I guess I only tried it in the store.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of curiosity, what app were you testing the Pencil? With so much hullabaloo, I've got to test this out now...

(I just wish Apple would enable hover support, so we could really get an idea how it l would perform on PC.)

And peeps, remember to hit the little arrow beside the pen for pressure sensitivity, as it's not enabled by default! :vbwink:

Capture.PNG
    Capture2.PNG

Edit: One neat trick Journal users might not know is, you can copy and paste ink between Journal and OneNote (Desktop), and still preserve the ink in vector format.

Now how cool is that! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Mikerman and WillAdams like this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Microsoft really missed their chance to update the JNT format to Wacom's WILL format. That would have solved their security issues and done most of their work for them. I'm sure they could knock out a converter in a month or two and implement WILL support in Journal.

I believe the Pencil framework is implemented in the OS so there's little to no difference between apps, since there are no legacy modes or 30 years of baggage like Wacom.

WillAdams likes this.