Windows forgot it was on a tablet

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by Jergling, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jergling

Jergling Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone here had an issue where Windows 7 just forgets that it's running on a tablet? I uninstalled and reinstalled my Wacom driver today, and found that I no longer have things like the writing input panel or right clicking anymore.

From control panel, I uninstalled the drivers called "Wacom Penabled Minidriver," then restarted. I reinstalled those, then restarted again, and now I have no support from Windows. That means no control panels, no "flicks," no smoothing or eraser-end support in OneNote, and no calibration. Frankly, it's kind of stupid that Windows can't rediscover the tablet on its own.

Has anyone found way to manually re-install or re-enable tablet support?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Based on your previous post I am guessing you are saying this about Wndows 7 on the Toshiba M400... I have the M4 -the larger and more powerful brother of the M400- and I have found that it can be pretty fickle at times [older technology is always that way..but so is new technology, so not much difference there), though mostly in Win XP, Windows 7 seems to be a lot better though not quite perfect!

Windows 7 (and XP tablet edition for that matter) will automatically recognize and use the Pen input system using the 'built in' windows drivers unless there is a driver that precedes it; it sounds like that is the case, maybe...

Get the newest Wacom driver from here Drivers | Wacom Americas (click "More info" scroll down and click "Download") that is the link to the latest Wacom supplied driver, it will have pen pressure data, and it is pretty much what most everyone uses.

be sure to go into device manager, choose "Uninstall a program" sort by publisher and uninstalll any drivers by Wacom, then reboot, then install the driver I linked, then reboot and it should be working (if it recognized the pen)

If that doesn't work, press the 'windows key' and type "System restore" and launch 'System restore' and see if there is a point you can roll back to, if so you should try doing so after backing up any data you would like to keep (in case it goes south and it screws up)

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone here had an issue where Windows 7 just forgets that it's running on a tablet?..>>

...Check:

Contol Panel > Programs And Features > Turn Windows Features On and Off

and be sure that Tablet PC Components is checked...

4. Jergling

Jergling Pen Pal - Newbie

I had done this already to no avail, but doing the same through "programs and features" solved the issue. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.