Windows document scanning and organizing software

Discussion in 'Software' started by convergent, Jul 3, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, a little more progress on my testing. The punch line is I'm now thinking about buying a new Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 to test out here. I think the Epson software is the thing I'm getting frustrated with and it seems Fujitsu may have a better story there.

The delay I was getting on the scanning is definitely from Epson's Document Capture Pro. It has a big lag before it scans after hitting the scanner button. This may not seem like a big deal, but usually I'm hanging my hand out there waiting because I'm feeding a receipt or something in and easier to guide it then keep adjusting the guides. Epson Scan 2 is much quicker to respond. You can apparently use which ever one you want but Epson Scan 2 I think has to be left open for it to work. I've not fully tested that yet.

Now to the OCR. You can't use the ABBYY software that comes with the Epson scanner other than by initiating the scan from the computer. Neither Document Capture Pro or Epson Scan 2 will trigger it. Also, I compared the OCR from ABBYY to what the Epson software is doing and its a lot better. Nearly every document has some big stuff getting missed when not using ABBYY. I need a scanner button driven solution because that is the way I do my workflow.

As for organizing the files, I've removed Adobe Reader and using Foxit Reader. The both work, but I was getting more wonky scaling problems in Adobe. I'm using a nSP with 4K external monitor and sometimes Adobe had huge fonts, sometimes tiny fonts, and sometimes just right. I'm getting a bit of that in general for other apps, when docking and undocking, but Adobe was behaving worse.

I believe the ScanSnap does have better software and in particular a library organization application that is what I originally was looking for; however Windows Explorer is going to work OK.

I need to decide if I want to spend another $400+ to play with the new ScanSnap. My old one is a gem, but unfortunately back then they made a Mac specific version. The Epson is quite a bit faster and a just released model vs. the ix500 that is getting a little dated, but the software difference is I think going to drive me to try it while I can still return the Epson.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Have you tried downloading ScanSnap Windows software from Fujitsu and test it with your old device? I mean Mac specific must mean software specific, not hardware specific, right?

3. convergent

This generation of their scanners are Mac only or Windows only... meaning the hardware, or more specifically the drivers. So that's a no go without registry gymnastics. I should be able to sell it though.

4. Kumabjorn

I just figured the Windows software would come with the appropriate driver. All I'm saying is that I have a very hard time understanding how there could be any difference in hardware, unless the Mac SnapScan came with SCSI or Lightning connectors only.

5. convergent

Its probably possible to get the Mac scanner to work, but its going to result in additional challenges. The old drivers need to be in compatibility mode; and they need to be forced to work with the Mac printer because it will report its the wrong driver. I've seen a few posts with mixed results. Further complicating it, Fujitsu has now made their old software downloads require an email request form to get permission, and they are looking for serial numbers, etc. Even if I navigated that, they don't make available their software which is the real thing I was unhappy with on the Epson. So I would need to somehow get the software from someone with an old version of the Windows printer, which would then be old and unsupported.

Update on where I'm at... I returned the Epson scanner and am going to buy one of the two ScanSnap newer models. It kills me because these are about 4 years old and surely they will release something new right after I buy! They have two models that are $225 and $450 with the more expensive one being twice the speed and having WiFi/USB3, and the other being a lot more compact and USB2 only. The one I have is the speed of the more expensive one. I don't really need that speed anymore since I know longer use it for business; but having it run via WiFi would be an advantage so I could use it with both my Surface Pro and my Mac, as well as my iOS devices. I can probably eBay the old one for $150... so net, its not a huge outlay.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Network scanning and printing is so much more convenient than stand-alone units. In my small office, we have a Xerox 7835 Workcenter that does it all. Xerox software and support has been incredible.

7. convergent

That puppy looks to be nearly $20K, so probably a little more than I need in my home office!

I should have just went back to ScanSnap initially because I've used one for years and love the thing. For a consumer grade scanner, the thing is a beast.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

You really willing to support a company that is so user/customer unfriendly? Almost antagonistic to say the least.

9. convergent

It's only a problem if trying to run software that they didn't sell with it and not licensed for it. I have the disks with the software that they provided, including full Acrobat Professional. I did try a different brand scanner as discussed here, but in the end I want a solution that works well. Fujitsu seems to be the undisputed leader in this space.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, Mike. Lol, I see your adventure continues!

There's also PDFelement and Nitro Pro 10 which are reputed to be very good - both with OCR - if Foxit isn't to your liking. At least we have some choice nowadays. There is also a free version of PDF XChange Editor which isn't bad. Yes, Windows Search is okay when it works, but I still think it can be improved upon by Microsoft. Sorry Seer isn't working out. I have my pdfs in TheBrain software that has a preview window for pdfs. The font size can be 'changed' in there by resizing the preview window.

Your problems with the scanner go over my head, I'm afraid. People always recommend the ScanSnap as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for posting your trials and tribulations with us: this thread will definitely be of use to folks in the future. Good luck with the new scanner!