windows aero 3d

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by calnexin, Jun 13, 2009.

1. calnexin

calnexin Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all. its been a while since i have had my HP tablet and i have to say that i love it. the fan runs a bit noisy....just a bit but its ok. as usual the laptop came with all that crap/bloatware that HP puts on so i had the people at circuit city make me a vista install cd. so i installed that. after that i had to reboot my laptop a couple of times cuz i had to get it configured for school and they messed it up.
    anyhow, in the beginning, i had turned the windows aero thingy off to save memory but now i got bored so i decided to turn it on. and it doesn't work.
    specifically, when you hit Alt+tab key the 3D stuff doesn't come instead it just shows normal small windows like it did in xp. is there a setting that i didn't turn on?. can anyone help me on this.
    my friend has an HP laptop(not a tablet though) with a slower processor
    and his graphics memory is less than mine too and his 3D aero thing works.
    so mine should work too right. here ar my specs...
    AMD Turion ZM-80, 3GB RAM, Ati Raedeon 3200HD Graphics.
    when i look at system in control panel it says...
    Dedicated Graphics Memory 320MB
    Total 1470MB...
    running vista premium SP1 32 bit
    any suggestions...
    thanks..

2. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like you need to enable Aero. Right click on desktop->personalize->Window Color and appearance-> See if you can select the aero theme. If there isnt one then try running the windows experience index once again, that should enable aero once it finishes.

3. calnexin

i did look in the personalize menu and there is a vista aero setting but when i click on it, it looks the same as vista basic setting. i don't think the graphics card is high enough to run the 3D stuff. the graphics score is a 3.6 and thats the lowest score on my laptop. come to thinkg of it when turned my laptop on for the first time, it didn't work then either. any other suggestions...

4. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure it is, my tx2510us has the same config. A 3.6 score is normal. I have Windows 7 installed my score is 4.5. Please also download the latest catalyst drivers for the ATI HD3200 from ATI.com. They work flawlessly.

5. calnexin

i went to the ATI.com site but they don't have a driver for HD3200 there is one for HD3400 and 3600 but no 3200. i will check the HP site

6. calnexin

Can you tell me where in windows you went to change the settings. under personalization and appearance i am using windows aero setting. is there anything else i need to change.
    Thanks

7. calnexin

ok so i went to the HP site and dl the driver and installed it and then i refereshed the windows index score and it actually went down to 3.4.
    i dunno how that happened. i will do it again. unless i installed an older version of the driver but then they usually tell you when you try to install the drivers that you are intalling an older version.

8. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol! I didnt realize this until now. But you mentioned in your original post that you pressed alt+tab in order to get he flip3d. However, that is not the key combination for flip3d. You need to press the Win+tab in order to get the flip3d animation. Alt+tab just gives you the normal window manager.

BTW, download the latest ATi drivers from here...
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

I usually select the "Motherboard/Integrated video drivers" option and download and install the "Full Catalyst software suite".

9. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

The full catalyst suite is what i installed and it works flawlessly with the HP.

10. calnexin

lol...thanks alot you right i was pressing the wrong keys...it works...
    thanks and i will check that site out...