Windows 8

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by visualj, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At this point in time it's FAR too early to judge something like that. I'd imagine that it's nowhere near as good at this point in time. 63 ish services are running on a standard laptop so probably a few more on a tablet...

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

What is the time limit usually allowed for the developer version ?

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Back to Win 7 for me.

Yesterday it seemed to be useable for a couple hours,
    flash downloaded worked etc.

Today half the tiles turned white, lost the backgound, had many issues.
    Did a restore and then flash would not install.

It's just a preview was fun to try.

4. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

From WinVer, the evaluation copy expires 3/11/2012...

...if that is what you were asking about.

5. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

Make sure you turn on the allow BT devices to find this computer in the BT settings.
    It is working for me - but a strange install.
    First added BT mouse - it said it was added but the mouse did not work. Removed it and added it again and now it works fine.
    BT Keyboard worked the first time.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Thx.. that was what I look for.love to try just too much work for a short of time period.

7. m455954

m455954 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've fixed my bluetooth!! Both keyboard and mouse now working

Download the WLAN driver for the EP121 from the ASUS support site as this does the WLAN and bluetooth (mine was the 64 bit Win7 one as I had 64 bit Win8 installed)

Extract it and then run setup - it will fail saying that this is the wrong version of windows. A couple of seconds later a windows popup will ask if it worked ok - click no- re-run in compatability mode.

The install will now run OK - I deselected the WLAN driver (as Wireless is working fine anyway) and let it install the bluetooth stuff. The bluetooth icon appeared on the system tray - open the settings from here once the installer has finished and click the 'allow devices to see this PC' option (not sure if this is absolutely necessary - but the previous poster said it so I did it).

Then held down the bluetooth button on both the keyboard and the mouse, went into the 'add device' option in the control panel and the devices showed up - they both connected first time and just worked.

My only issue with Win8 now is the lack of flash in Metro IE10 and the non-functional G-sensor (orientation doesn't work).

One happy camper

8. Da_G

Da_G Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a note that installing from the SD card slot works fine, but you have to begin setup within windows, and it is sort of an "upgrade" install in that it preserves some bits, but nukes most of it.

It's not a clean install like it would be booting from the card, though.

9. Sp1ce

Sp1ce Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried installing Wacom drivers on the new Windows8?
    Also curious how do legacy apps run in the new metro, can I install photoshop/sketchbook pro and make them into tiles?
    Does the split screen function work?

10. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

No need for the Wacom drivers, Windows 8 installed the drivers needed during setup.
    Almost any program that would run in XP/Vista/7 can be installed, and it will create a simple square tile to launch the program. It will not make a 'live' tile.
    If you mean docking two apps side by side, no, the EP121 does not have the minimum resolution of 1366 pixels across to facilitate docking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.