Windows 8

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by visualj, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsYet

IsYet Pen Pal - Newbie

The hardware buttons, with the exception of the long press of the home button, don't work.

But it's pretty stable and the touch and new interface are good enough for me to put up with the issues.
    It is then only OS on my 121.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually the volume rocker on mine is working. Didn't work initially after install but after updates.

3. IsYet

IsYet Pen Pal - Newbie

No buttons for me. I'll keep checking after updates.

Unrelated to the Ep121:
    I've installed these apps and they're running fine:
    - Quicken 2011
    - Zune
    - Office 2010 Home / Student
    - Kindle
    - KeePass

IE (Metro version) seems to be the most troublesome app. It hangs from time to time. I'm pretty sure it relates to hitting sites that use plugins like Silverlight or Flash.
    Most of the time, when this happens, the system degrades and I need to restart.
    Having said that, I just went a couple days without restarting.
    And, assuming it doesn't hang on the way down (rare), it restarts very quickly and the Metro apps resume where you left them.

Another neat feature is that my login picture and some other settings were copied to another Win 8 PC I have associated with my Live ID.

4. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

for those who wants to know if buttons work :
    do windows update first, than go to asus ep121 downloads section choose windows 7 64 bit OS and install all drivers listed(install bios driver at your own risk, I didn't try, as my usb install from bios already works so nor sure if it has anything new)
    If everything goes right than like me you have :
    1. Sleep button works
    2. Volume rocker works
    3. Long press on home button works(short press for flipping doesn't work though)
    4. show onscreen keyboard button works
    5. Auto rotation button doesn't work beacuse Auto rotation itself doesn't work at first place though I have installed Asus G Sensor driver (though good news is that this works for some people so we need to find the correct steps for it)

SOME TIPS(keep them coming if you know any) :

1. Right click with a tap from second finger is replaced by long press 4~6 secs in windows 8(though you can configure it from Control Panel=>Pen and Touch and in settings you can reduce the duration, optimal is 2 secs which is good though I loved the old 2 way of tapping ;))
    2. There is a difference between the on screen keyboard for the WDP and the keyboard which auto-pops up when a text box is clicked. The on-screen keyboard (launched through search) has the alt keys - but the on screen keyboard (auto launched) does not.
    3. Change Windows 8 start menu to Windows 7 start menu on the fly with -
    Windows 8 Start Menu Switcher by ~Ruanmei on deviantART

Hope this helps :)

5. Duncken

Duncken Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks and my buttons work now.
    Besides two finger touch for right click, another thing lost would be the finger touch flicker, finger swipe for back and forward is useful for web browsing

6. 3_D

3_D Pen Pal - Newbie

That's the one I miss the most!

7. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

only thing I need is Modern Reader app now ��

8. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I really love Windows 8 on my EP121. Bluetooth was not a problem for me, just installed the Asus drivers from the site, in 'windows 7' mode and it worked for me. The same with the newest Intel drivers.

My biggest problem is the Stylus / Touch thing....i used the 'touchcontrol' app or something to deactvaite the touch while writing / sketching etc...but in Windws 8 it doesnt work anymore. Also i always get the normal mouse cursor and not the 'stylus pointer'.
    Is there a way to bring it back?

9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Went to the Asus ftp site for ep121, couldn't decipher which one was for the esc/keyboard button. Just saw a couple of downloads for the asus hotkey service. Would that by any chance be for the keyboard button? Thanks

10. awhitehouse

awhitehouse Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone get the Labryinth game to work? I have tried both touch and the stylus to no luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.