Windows 8

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by visualj, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

The home button still appears to be sending CTRL-WIN-TAB to the OS - which itself doesn't perform the same function under Windows 8. But I haven't found a way to enable the G-sensor, and suspect there's a service that's not installing/running for some reason.

Also, I can't update the Intel HD Graphics drivers beyond the May 4, 2011 version - both subsequent releases say the system "does not meet minimum requirements", even when using compatibility mode on the installer. You can run the whole installer and it looks like it is just updating the turbo boost driver; unzipping and running the individual driver update fails (as does updating through "have disk" in device manager).

This makes for some choppy web videos from time to time. But for me, the biggest issue is the automated screen rotation - I never realized how much I relied on it before. If I can't find a fix, I'm going back to Windows 7. Which is sad, because the touch interface is so much better on Win 8.

2. Eoma

Eoma Pen Pal - Newbie

In the device manager, there are sensor related items which are classified under "other devices". We'll need new drivers and/or find a similiar workaround ala bluetooth.
    In the registry there are also 2 items which are by default set to 0.

Display1_EnableIndependantRotation
    Display1_IndependantRotation

Unfortunately, setting them to 1 (and reboot of course) did not work.

Display1_EnableRotation is on though.

I too can't install the latest 2509 Intel HD driver set. As Ben mentions, it just installs the Turboboost driver.

3. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

touch is so much better on windows 8 compared to 7, but seems MS still didn't learn n a lesson, win 8 is still not fully touch supported compared to Android, eg. Image viewer does not support swiping to next image with finger :(
    Also I liked the 2 fingers touch on desktop for a right click on our previous windows 7, is it possible to enable the same on win8 instead of press and hold on desktop :(

4. Eoma

Eoma Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sure/hoping it will be included in the final release.

5. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anyone please post correct steps to enable screen rotation aka G Sensor.

6. Duncken

Duncken Pen Pal - Newbie

Should I manually install driver from ASUS website? I installed win8 on VHD and one minute ago I checked windows update which says nothing needed to be updated.
    Here are things I lost right now:
    Finger flick recognized as mouse which not working,
    volume key
    keyboard key
    two finger touch for right click,

7. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a dev (developer) preview. For testing apps (that will be used when the beta is released) and such. It is not even a beta yet. Asus will have nothing for it. Do not try to use this like you would your win7. As far as I can tell, it won't be released until next year. Try it, but you shouldn't be using it as an OS if your not developing apps for it. And even then, it shouldn't be your primary OS.

8. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

There were some updates from windows update just for this. I believe it was the next day or the day after. If you just downloaded it, it may have had the updates included (I didn't check).

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

+1

I can't believe -scratch that I can *sigh*- how many people are treating this dev release as if it were a free version of the OS for them to use as a full OS in place of XP/ Vista/ 7... its not even in a truly workable state right now...

at least we know there is a ton of interest in Windows as a OS in the future (yay! not everybody was brainwashed by apple/ google, though they are certainly trying to *cough* chrome book *cough*!

10. Duncken

Duncken Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the reply .
    Actually I'd like to know whether everyone got the same problem, if yes, I'm quite happy what I got, if no ,I'd like to know how to solve the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.