Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by excalibur1814, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know of an antivirus that can be installed on this? I tried the 2011 and 2012 bitdefender and free AVG with no luck. I need a program to get on to my school's internet.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Windows Defender, built into the operating system, now has brought Microsoft's "Security Essentials" into the fold for antivirus, so really you get free AV built in. Not sure if that'll be good enough for your school internet though.

3. marketgarden

marketgarden Pen Pal - Newbie

so whens the real thing out?

i love windows 7 tbh but i know there will be better tablet software released for 8 only in the next few months

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Who knows? I'd like to think that they'll get it perfected before even thinking of releasing the product or it'll be panned in a BIG way. So far the positive people seem to be a bit louder than the negative so that's a good start.

P.s. What does everyone think of the Explorer Ribbon bar? I actually like the various options that they've added from the front (Stuff previously tucked away nicely within properties etc). I hardly EVER use any commands on the current Windows 7 layout but I can see myself clicking a few options with the new one.

5. Ayulin

Ayulin Pen Pal - Newbie

X201T user here too. I've found that running the Lenovo installers in compatibility mode for Windows 7 does the trick for most of them - managed to install System Update this way, though it doesn't work (gives an error when trying to check for updates). Power Manager works fine, though.

As for OneNote, it works properly for the most part, though I experienced the problem mentioned here once. It disappeared after closing and reopening OneNote, though.

6. rockand

rockand Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,

i think the explorer ribbon is just as nice as the office ones. But it still feels a little uncomfortable when using fingers only, because some drop down buttons are kind of easy to miss. It would be nice if the size of the button and the drop down option get increased when your finger is on it, or that the drop down menu opens when you "drag" the button down.

cu

ps: its a nice feature that the input language can be switched with windows-key+space

7. orenelwin

orenelwin Pen Pal - Newbie

So, Windows 8 would be available on phones based on current specs. and config. ? Just flash my old android phone and install the new OS?

8. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

No. Windows Phone is for phones, Windows 8 is for traditional computers and tablets. Microsoft decided to use their full OS on their tablets, while the others (Apple, Google) decided to use their mobile OS on their tablets.

9. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

has anyone tried this on an HP TM2? particularly the Core i5 version? I tried it on my TX2000 but the preview build lacks the drivers I need (i.e., the video drivers) so I can't even test anything out. but I'm willing to pick up a used TM2 to pair with Windows 8.

10. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't know if this will help, but it's running just fine on my HP 2740p core I5-520m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.