Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by excalibur1814, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think I broke something (Pressing the power button no longers shuts down the pc) 47 seconds from off to the start screen...>>

...Win8 uses hibernation even during a normal shutdown to speed start-up.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't see this 'feature' lasting long...

IE10 Metro view always uses Bing, even if you select a different search engine in the Desktop view's Addons.

Also, installed the drivers for my rarely used USB webcam to try and test out the user tile customization feature... and Metro doesn't detect it. Not a big deal, but just thought I'd point it out.

I also can't get picture login to work. It goes through the process and then at the end fails every time. So instead I'm using the PIN-based login, so that I don't have to enter my complex Live ID password each time.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I know but I just wanted to disable hibernation :) I've since found the actual option within the option thing option. Option.

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

- Bing. You'll be able to change it or the EU will kick off :)
    - The laptop and R2h saved my long Live ID but asked for the password each time

My main reservation is to do with the desktop... It's damn risky to remove that one option (Not that it's been 'removed'). I want the option...

5. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

are you guys backing up your system and then wiping it with this install? i'm downloading the image right now. but I have my system perfect on my SSD and don't want to mess it up just to see the preview build which I assume is very rough.

6. jhoff80

Yeah, I wouldn't install it without a backup.

7. almostinsane

almostinsane Pen Pal - Newbie

Create a backup image with TrueImage first. I have my quick review with an Acer W500 and Win8 - efwhyeye.com | FYI!

8. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah, i backed up my system and then installed Windows 8. I can't really use Windows 8 since it can't even install the video drivers for my HP TX2000. So basically everything is stuck at 1024x768 with poor video acceleration. I'll just have to wait until a much more developed version comes out...

so i pulled my image back and am running Windows 7 again.

9. jhoff80

They've clarified on the Building Windows 8 blog that the Metro browser is intended to always be completely without plugin support, instead relying on HTML5 like the iPad browser. I can understand not wanting Flash (though I don't like that either, the whole reason for an x86/64 tablet is for full capability), but I really need LastPass to work or the browser is useless for me. I'm sure there are other similar necessities for others as well.

10. jhoff80

I will say this though... now that I have Win7 working perfectly on my new XT2, I set up a dual boot of Win8 that I'm going to try and stay in as much as I can just to sort of get a good feel for it.

The more I use it, the more I wish some of my favorite apps were Metro-ized, which can only be a good thing for Microsoft. Things are still taking a lot of getting used to, but I'm liking it... and things can only continue to get better. I mean one great thing about this new focus on tablets is that we'll finally have third-party touch apps. I know I've wanted a good ebook reader for Windows for a really long time, as an example, and hopefully now we can get one.

I can't wait for Media Center to be implemented though, it's the best touch-based media player I've used even though it's technically not Metro (but probably a good deal of Metro is inspired by it). Honestly if I had that I could probably stay in Win8 completely full-time.

I do wish we had some of the people and contact type stuff that they showed off in the keynote too, but I guess we'll have to wait until the beta for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.