Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by excalibur1814, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taikero

Taikero Pen Pal - Newbie

Link: Windows Dev Center

I'm looking forward to everyone's impressions.

2. sullitf

sullitf Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone planning on trying out 8 on their W500? I just got mine last week and am considering trying it out. I haven't looked into driver compatibility or anything yet though so I'd love to hear everyone's experience with it!

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just got it installed on my Dell XT, and not everything works right out of the box.

There's no display driver other than the default Microsoft one, so it's stuck at a max of 1024x768. I'm going to try the Vista driver (since there's no official Win7 one) and see what happens. Also, the N-trig digitizer isn't working perfectly out of the box. I haven't figured out if that's because of the non-native resolution or if I still need to install the N-trig drivers (I'd guess both, because there's an issue with the Duosense digitizer in Device Manager).

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I take it this is not possible to install this on an external drive or through a VM yet?

5. jhoff80

The Vista driver for the XT is working fine, and I also need to install the USB-Serial driver and the N-trig driver.

My biggest frustration right now though is that the username it picks for you is based on your Live account. So my live account is my email address: jxxxxxx @ gmail.com, and since you can't have a @ or period in a folder name, it appears that it chose jxxxxxx as my profile name. Except trying to get it to connect to my WHS by creating a user with that profile name isn't working.

Edit: Also, the Windows 7 digitizer driver doesn't install. It's weird, because the touch/multitouch seems to be working, but I can't actually PRESS anything, only scroll.
    Edit 2: reverted to the stock digitizer firmware and now tapping works but no multitouch. using split keyboard now an the buttons are way too small.

6. jhoff80

To answer my own question before, at the moment it appears addons don't work in the metro UI browser at all.

7. sullitf

sullitf Pen Pal - Newbie

did you try using plugins with the browser from the regular desktop? Think I saw a review mentioning that worked.

8. jhoff80

Yeah, that does work, but defeats the purpose of the Metro browser for me.

Also I fixed my WHS shares issues by adding credentials for a different Windows machine to my user account.

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Going to try with VMWare once it hits my desktop.

Update: Poo. It's not having any of it.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Test machine:
    Toshiba Sat A300-177
    230Gb hard drive
    2Gb ram

9.08Gb - Initial used space
    63 - running services
    528Mb - In use

New 'running' services:
    broker infrastructure
    System events broker
    Time broker

-I've stopped the following services:
    -Diagnostic System Host
    -Distributed Link tracking Client
    -IP Helper
    -Offline files
    -Print Spooler
    -Shell hardware protection
    -SSDP Discovery
    -Superfetch
    -Windows Font Cache Service
    -Windows Search (In the future I'll probably leave this on)

Didn't really make much difference at all. I then turned off hibernate: 7.66Gb used space. Opps I think I broke something (Pressing the power button no longers shuts down the pc) 47 seconds from off to the start screen.. best not to mess with Hibernate then :)

My first thought was one of, 'How are people going to move across (on desktops/laptops) the screens?' but Ctrl and the arrow keys soon resolved that one.

- Once on the desktop it seems hit and miss to get to the Start options. (Move mouse all the way to the bottom left)
    - 8 seconds? It took this machine 8 seconds to get past the initial bios page(s) :) (17 seconds in total which is fast)
    - How the heck do you shut down the machine? (Other than pressing the power button once or logging off to get the Shutdown button)

I have my R2h in today and am VERY tempted. Very cool so far by administrators the entire world over will now have to do some work :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.