Windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by excalibur1814, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how any of the new stuff will (if it will at all) fit into my life when at my desk, but for tablet-based stuff it looks pretty impressive.

And now finally we'll have an influx of tablet-based apps. I know I've been waiting for years for a GOOD ebook reader for my Tablet PC, for example.

I'm hoping that the developer preview supports the N-trig digitizer natively, because I want to give it a try tonight. It's too bad that they probably won't offer it as a liveDVD type setup, that would be the best idea for something like this.

3. excalibur1814

It surely MUST support just about any and every Tablet function currently available but I'll rule out my Asus R2h :)

I'm clicking away but it's still not available :/

I have a feeling that as long as I can 'centrally' position things like pop3 collection from WHS2011 then the new UI will be just what I'm looking for.

4. jhoff80

The biggest concern I have is that most of my stuff isn't on Skydrive / Windows Live, it's on Google. I mean, I don't use hotmail, but use a Gmail account for my personal email (and Google Apps services for my more professional email account), and that's what I use for my calendar, contacts, etc.

I know they showed Facebook integration but hopefully it'll work the same for Google.

Similarly an issue on their phones, I don't use Windows Live Messenger, but a mix of AIM, Yahoo, and Skype. We know Microsoft is including Skype, but that's it, so it leaves me a little worried for some of this stuff in Windows.

5. excalibur1814

The others will quickly release 'apps' as they simply cannot ignore Windows. I just hope that Google and itunes don't do the usual trick of installing a whole load of pap to slow down the machine :(

6. jhoff80

Another (tiny) concern is for browser add-ins. Most of them suck, but LastPass is one I use on a daily basis. In IE9, add-ins are handled horribly. You need to add another toolbar for them, you can't just add the icon next to the home / settings / favorites button. Hopefully there's a better way that they handle this in IE10, because honestly that's the one thing keeping me from IE9 as primary browser in Win7 (because it does work better with Touch/Pen than FF or Chrome).

7. excalibur1814

You do have a fantastic point and I've never thought of that before... 'just add the icon next to the home...'. Why haven't they done this???

As you've also pointed out I REALLY hope that they get serious with the plug-ins as I really like Opera for that

8. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

9. jhoff80

*Cough* preview's up a little early.

Don't tell anyone yet though, since I'm getting it at 2MB per second. :p

10. jhoff80

So far it's a no-go on my Dell XT (which I have backups, and it's going back to Dell soon anyway, so I don't care much).

I keep getting an error about needing a CD/DVD driver, despite no DVD drive being connected (loading the developer tools version off a USB drive).

I'm going to try one of the versions that fits on a DVD5 and try burning it, see if that helps.

Edit: As it turns out, it's failing a hash check for me, I'm going to attempt to re-download it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.