1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Windows 8 tablet for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by IamtheSpaceCadet, Dec 24, 2012.

1. IamtheSpaceCadet

IamtheSpaceCadet Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

~$700

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Used possibly. Refurbished, definitely.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows, preferably windows 8

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I have a Lenovo laptop that I adore. Other than that, no.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    I would like five or more.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing! Drawing mostly. After that, web, email, and the like.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Full Windows please, I would like to be able to use my applications.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Paint tool Sai, perhaps photoshop, other art programs

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Nah.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nope.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Not really? I want to use the tablet for art SO better is... better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, definitely, Wacom.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

2gb at least, probably a 64 gig hard drive, if smaller then some form of SD card reader or USB slot is a must

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I would love a usb and sd slot. And HDMI is nice too? But they're not priorities.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Okay so the truth is I've been doing some research on my own, but I've reached sort of an impasse.

I was not terribly in to the tablet scene until the Surface was released, then I got interested. I found out that the RT did not have a digitizer, though, so I started looking elsewhere. And while I was holding out for the Pro I just can't justify the price. While investigating other options three contenders really popped out, The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, the Dell Latitude 10, and the Ativ Smart PC 500T.
    The pros and cons for each that I've found are- I like my Lenovo laptop a lot. The Thinkpad was a very popular tablet, and they've been doing the digitizer thing for awhile. The pen has a silo, which is nice. However they are kind of waffling about their release and they don't have a full SD card slot. The Dell has a swappable battery which is just swell, but it doesn't have a pen silo and I am nervous of Dells (I have had bad experiences in the past). And the Samsung has the larger screen and is out now, but it feels a bit flimsy. It's also the only one I've been able to play with, and I liked it pretty well.

It's a tough choice! And while I feel these three best suit my needs I think you guys probably have a better idea of what is out there so I'm not in any way stuck on only choosing between the three. Any help is very welcome!
  2. BringMeAnother

BringMeAnother Pen Pal - Newbie

I've made similar topics with similar specs and I've seen other topics that are similar and from the amount of replies we got (that is no replies) I think either people are tired of us asking for the same questions or there is currently no good Windows 8 tablet for drawing. I'd wait a month or two for Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro or those other Core i5 tablets from Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc to come out and then there might be a recommendation here. After all, programs like Photoshop are quite demanding.