Windows 8 / Surface Introduction Day - 26 October 2012

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Did you attend one of the various introduction-day events, today?

If so, please tell us about your experience!

For myself, I went down to our local mall to observe the opening day of our Microsoft pop-up kiosk. Although I hoped I would see Apple-like lines waiting for the kiosk to open, I knew that it would likely be a lower-key event than that. When I arrived, there were at least 10-12 Microsoft folks in various stages of preparation. The customer crowd slowly built, until just before opening there were about 30 to 50 people waiting in line. The Microsoft folks were very friendly; they circulated among us showing off the RT (my first in-person look at the device), answering questions and even buying coffee and snacks for the crowd. At a separate table, there was music playing. The Microsoft folks were energized and excited, and they did what they could to energize the crowd, but it was only 7 AM so it was tough sledding for them!

The kiosk was set up with probably 6 to 10 RTs on display. They were all working, of course, and there plenty of sales people on hand to answer questions. Unfortunately, there were no non-Microsoft brands on display as I had been led to expect. Perhaps they didn't get the stock on time?

Everything was well organized, and when they finally opened at 7:30, each of us was conducted up to a counter with our RTs already waiting for us. Except for a problem with register, I was literally up and out in about 10 minutes. The whole experience was good, and if enthusiam could make RT a success, then RT will have a rosy future.

While I was waiting, and again after I bought my RT, I had the chance to talk to Steve, one of the sales staff, and Scott, a Microsoft company rep. Both men were enthusiastic about RT and concerned to hear what we, on this forum, have been saying about Surface. I had a more technical discussion with Steve, sharing some of the views on the forum and getting his reaction. Probably Steve's most significant comments revolved around the tremenous amount of work and thinking that had gone into the design of Surface and Microsoft's intention that each of their new products be a sort of reference standard for the industry as a whole. Notice I said products; as we've come to understand, there's apparently more in the pipeline that just Surface RT and Surface Pro.

Scott was equally interested in the opinions on our forum, and we had a nice chat. Scott took a few notes and promised that the feedback would get back to Microsoft. As with Steve, the thing that impressed me was the obvious interest that both men had in what we thought and what Microsoft could do better. Back in the days when I used to be a Microsoft MVP, I was constantly frustrated by the fact that our group's (generally pretty good) suggestions were simply shrugged off by Redmond. If today's attitude turns out to be an enduring culteral change, then Microsoft may yet get a run for their money!

PS: I took a few cellphone photos to accompany this write-up, but they turned out just awful (and not for the first time, either)! I've decided to trade in my Android phone for a Windows 8 phone next year...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The question of the decade, in what form were these notes taken?

I ask because the Surface video from sometime last Spring when the effort was talked about starting from the beginning, I was immediately offended when the VP in charge of the program said that "there was nothing on the market that could be used as a comparator." Now obviously the effort predated the iPad and that may have been a reference to that as a sort of political jab, but TabletPC's running Windows have been available since 2001. The so-called "reference machine", the Samsung S7S was not THAT revolutionary compared to Fujitsu, HP, or Motion slates. Any of the existing slates would have sufficed just fine. I was led to believe that MS did not know they existed. Shame on MS.

So now we have the Hardware Team touting Surface as being revolutionary and really, what will it do that the other Slates, going back to 2001, will not? They don't have 256 GB SSD's, they don't have full size SD slots, 2 or 3 USB ports, or even an active digitizer to draw or take notes on. In other words, I see this, especially the RT, as a sort of dumbing down of the TabletPC.

I bet the MS employee, eager to hear your feedback, wrote the notes on a 3x5 card he had in his pocket! Maybe not, correct me if I am off base. If it were me and I wanted to write what you were saying I would have wrote your comments in OneNote on my Q550!

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...in what form were these notes taken?..>>

Dan: For a moment there, I was expecting you to take off in a slightly different direction! However, to answer your question, Scott was carrying a portfolio with the typical yellow paper pad inside. He wrote the notes on the pad, which had other notes already written on it.

Will the comments actually ever get to Redmond? Scott seemed sincere; that's all I can say...

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Right on the spot. The only thing new (not revolutionary) is the 2 keyboard covers....Unless Microsoft believes that stupid "clicking" sound is revolutionary. What a gimmick. What is truly revolutionary about this whole thing is that Microsoft has finally learned how spin stories and turn them into a mega-hype.... And bizarrely enough, they've learned it from the masters: Apple. :rolleyes: So congratulations to Redmond for the new hirings on the Marketing Dept. They're pros!

Regarding MS listening to us, I doubt it. The guy took notes, and he might send them to Redmond someday, but it will be ignored. Sinofsky is kinda like Jobs in the sense that he believes he knows best.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.