Windows 8 suppor for CL900

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by tgregg, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgregg

tgregg Pen Pal - Newbie

When is Motion Computing going to formally support Windows 8 on the CL900?

Specifically the ability to update the bios under windows 8 and a production version of the graphics driver.

It's been 3 months since their release of beta version drivers and repeated inquiries to tech support about a projected release date results in 'I don't know'.

I have been a long time user and supporter of various motion computers and this is a long time to leave windows 8 users in limbo.

Anyone have any insight as to what the problem maybe?

2. PaulRR

PaulRR Pen Pal - Newbie

3. tgregg

tgregg Pen Pal - Newbie

P
    Paul,

Thanks for your response. Yes there are drivers at that link but, as I mentioned they are beta version drivers and haven't been updated for 3 months.

The biggest 2 problems are the graphics driver, which doesn't support all functions correctly because some apps have severe display problems and I can't update the bios to the current version.

You appear to be associated with Motion support. Can you get any estimate when these problems will be addressed?

4. PaulRR

PaulRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

You are not going to see any updates for the CL900 Win 8 drivers. The graphics issue that you see is an issue with the Intel graphics driver. If there is a resolution it will be for the CL910. I do not know if/when Intel will provide a fix. Motion's entrerprise customers are well aware of graphics limitations of the CL-series TPCs and Win 8. If the situation changes I will provide an update.. Sorry for being the harbinger of bad news....

5. tgregg

tgregg Pen Pal - Newbie

Paul,

I know there is something wrong / missing from the Intel driver and have read elsewhere that Intel isn't going to produce a w8 driver for the gma600 chip, but I was hoping somebody might take on the task.

I am confused about your CL910 reference. Is that about the w8 drivers issue or the Intel graphics issue. Because Motion's web site claims the CL910 isn't supported by w8.

I'm hoping to find someone that has more experience with w8 on the CL900.

Do you have a CL900 running w8?

Have you tried to update the bios using w8 and had it fail? Is the latest version of the bios going to improve the w8 performance enough to justify the effort of reloading w7, updating the bios and then reinstalling w8?

I know there is something amiss with the Intel driver, but some apps like Netflix, some web pages like youtube.com and some desktop applications like windows media player display hd video perfectly where other apps like Video, Bing, usa today, ny times and certain web pages don't.

So rwhat does Netflix do that the others don't?

I suppose if my LE 1600 hadn't broken a month after the 3 year warranty elapsed I wouldn't have bought the CL900 before windows 8 was released and I would have had more touch screen tablets that supported w8 to choose from.

But I've been a fan and an owner of Motion hardware for about 10 years so I thought it was a safe bet.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Tom

6. PaulRR

PaulRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Tom,

Please contact me directly so we can communicate directly (e-mail) and once we resolve this we can post a summary on the forum.. OK?

7. tgregg

tgregg Pen Pal - Newbie

Paul,
    Sent a visitor message with my email address.
    Tom

8. tgregg

tgregg Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to update the bios to the latest version without reverting back to windows7.

I installed the latest driver package for the cl900 dated 2/12/2013.

This did not fix any of the problems with displaying Bing maps, solitaire, blue screen when calculating the WEI, or playing some videos.

It did create a new problem with Netflix that wasn't there before. When trying to play a Netflix movie I get an error saying igdumd32.dll couldn't load.

I tried installing the driver again but still had the problem.

I reinstalled the previous graphics drive v3077 and that problem went away.

I emailed motion tech support, but haven't got a response yet.

Still hoping to have the best tablet hardware running windows 8 correctly......

9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey,
    i own a Fujitsu Q550 and wanted to ask if someone could contact the motion tech support if they will fix the OpenGL issue with the latest driver, it doesn't work in Windows 8 at all. =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.