Windows 8 Release Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by sjaywu, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

NP. I still have a couple of problems but am able to work around them. I still have the keyboard that pops up and goes down on this site but if I go to the internet Exp not in the metro it works fine. I have chrome loaded to check my mail in comcast Xfinity. RTM is far more stable than any of the other builds and N-Trig touch is much better since the calibrator and new driver. I have all of my devices with proper drivers. I like this slate a lot more with W8. It really does seem to run smoother. Pinch to zoom in W8 is worlds better than W7. I can't get SetFSB running yet, but I'll deal with that later.

2. cugel

cugel Pen Pal - Newbie

Just some feedback, i'm trying W8 RTM with latest N-Trig and GMA 500 drivers and i'm obtaining mixed results.

Pen performance with standard writing recognition and OneNote 2010 is really good, i think that better than W7 but in other programs (PDF Annotator (fullscreen or normal), MindManager or OneNote 2013) the pen is almost unusable as it has more than a second delay.

Another curious info is that recognition works fine in landscape and 1024x600 resolution if i try portrait or 1024x768 i get delay even with OneNote 2010.

Sleep works fine in W8, also volume buttons but i haven't figured out how to eneable home and keyboard physical buttons.

3. Bronsky

I haven't spent any time inking at all. Without the NTrig console, I prefer inking in W7

4. willinliv

willinliv Pen Pal - Newbie

As others have found the RTM Enterprise Evaluation seems to have resolved that issue. But annoyingly with the RTM I then had a problem with the wifi connection going down after few seconds of connectivity.

I had installed the driver from the HP Support site for the Atheros AR6003 (3.1.2.78) using compatibility mode or whatever, and previously in earlier releases of W8 had worked without fault. I tried rolling back to a previous version of the driver but no joy.

Then I saw a post atWindows 8 Consumer Preview - HP Slate 2 NIC (Atheros) driver fail - code 10 - Windows 8 - Tech Forum and found that by following this it fixed the problem.

I don't know if this has already been covered - Essentially the driver does not pick up the MAC address of the wireless adapter. It was very easy to rectify:

To find the MAC address
    1. go to the command prompt (using the Search charm look for 'cmd')
    2. Type 'ipconfig /all',
    3. Look for a Physical address in there linked up to the Atheros device. You then need to go into the Control Panel through the Settings charm.
    4. Click on Hardware and Sound, the Device Manager.
    5. Expand Network Adapters,
    6. Right click on Atheros AR6003..., and choose Properties
    7. Go to the Advanced tab
    8. Select the Network Address Property and type in the MAC address without dashes.

So now with the cold reboot problem solved, no wireless problems, and the visual keyboard behaving itself (doesn't seem to lock on now), I'm very happy with W8 on the HP Slate 2. It would be nice to have the N-trig control panel to be able to turn off the Auto switching between touch and pen (prefer to do this through a double tap). The metro apps don't run but I don't really care, I only use as shortcuts to programmes that run on the desktop and not asked to change the resolution.

slatenetwork.jpg

leadlong1422 likes this.
  5. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Now that N-Trig has new drivers out, I decided to give W8 another go. I have it installed and, as before, I am impressed by the improve in response over w7. My pen doesn't work, however. I don't think that it's dead because it does cause touch to turn off when it is near the screen, so I am assuming that there is something wrong with the drivers. Has anyone else experienced a non-working pen?

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

A fresh battery fixed the pen. It seems to be working now.

I have no good luck with any of the official graphics drivers nor the Broadcom crystal hd encoder driver. After installing windows 8, I was, and still am, impressed by how smooth and fluid scrolling was, particularly in IE10. I tried the latest gma500 driver from Intel and noted a drastic performance drop. Also, the Broadcom driver caused IE10 to crash on flash websites, so I uninstalled it too.

Whatever flavor of driver w8 uses by default seems to be working better than the official drivers.

I had no issues with WiFi and I am using the default, w8 provided drivers for that too.

7. Bronsky

@willinliv If you load the Intel HD500 graphic driver, you can change the resolution to that you can use the Metro apps. No N-Trig console yet, right?

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you all now fully satisfied with the Win 8 ? Is it now worth it for me to spend the little time I have
    to have a go at Win 8 with the new N trig drivers?
    From what I have read so far win 8 comes with drivers to support
    most of the hardware..eg graphics,
    With you all seeing so much performance improvement with Win 8 on the slate do you still plan to buy
    new Win 8 tablets?
    Thanks

9. Bronsky

I liked W8 but went back to W7 due to N-Trig's failure to release a compatable console. Without a console, you can't select Auto mode, which is the only way to effectively ink.

10. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance..but what( is a) console? I thought one needed only drivers to be made
    compatible with the new OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.