Windows 8 Readyboost. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ClixT, May 21, 2013.

1. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

So the only reason I returned my ativ 500t is because it lacks ram, then yesterday, I thought about adding a microsd and use readyboost.
    Would it work? or at least make the device feel more faster? I could get a used ativ 500t for $350+...

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

ReadyBoost is only available on machines that have a traditional hard drive, as all it does is creates a cache of the PageFile on the Flash Drive, because SSDs are faster than external flash based drives ReadyBoost is not available. Sorry....

3. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member

It won't make a difference. If you think about it, the 500t already uses a SSD and the point of readyboost is to use flash memory to get better I/O than a regular hard drive, not a SSD which is faster than pretty much any flash memory you could use for ready boost, add to that the fact that SD cards usually have not so good I/O performance except for the more expensive ones and you won't see a difference.

If you're being hampered by the lack of RAM, then it means that an atom tablet might just not be for you.

EDIT: didn't know readyboost wasn't available on a system with SSD.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't know the Ativ is using a SSD.. lol
    Always something new to learn haha.

Anyhow thanks! I guess I'll wait for the Bay Trail Atom/Wacom Tablet PC (if it's gonna happen)

5. tijo

It's kind of hard to fit a 2.5" HDD in something so small and miniature HDDs like those used in older iPods went the way of the dodo afaik.

6. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah.. shame on me for not even noticing that haha,

7. tijo

Not necessarily, unless you keep up with tech, it's easy to miss some details. ;)