1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Windows 8 Readyboost. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ClixT, May 21, 2013.

1. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

So the only reason I returned my ativ 500t is because it lacks ram, then yesterday, I thought about adding a microsd and use readyboost.
    Would it work? or at least make the device feel more faster? I could get a used ativ 500t for $350+...
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

ReadyBoost is only available on machines that have a traditional hard drive, as all it does is creates a cache of the PageFile on the Flash Drive, because SSDs are faster than external flash based drives ReadyBoost is not available. Sorry....
  3. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member

It won't make a difference. If you think about it, the 500t already uses a SSD and the point of readyboost is to use flash memory to get better I/O than a regular hard drive, not a SSD which is faster than pretty much any flash memory you could use for ready boost, add to that the fact that SD cards usually have not so good I/O performance except for the more expensive ones and you won't see a difference.

If you're being hampered by the lack of RAM, then it means that an atom tablet might just not be for you.

EDIT: didn't know readyboost wasn't available on a system with SSD.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't know the Ativ is using a SSD.. lol
    Always something new to learn haha.

Anyhow thanks! I guess I'll wait for the Bay Trail Atom/Wacom Tablet PC (if it's gonna happen)
  5. tijo

It's kind of hard to fit a 2.5" HDD in something so small and miniature HDDs like those used in older iPods went the way of the dodo afaik.
  6. ClixT

ClixT Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah.. shame on me for not even noticing that haha,
  7. tijo

Not necessarily, unless you keep up with tech, it's easy to miss some details. ;)