Windows 8 Pro 64 Performance fix

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by shnfara, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shnfara

shnfara Pen Pal - Newbie

Since upgrading my tablet, its become insanely slow. I had previously been using modded 604 bios that turned off throttling with windows 7, and updated stock intel graphics drivers, and I had much higher scores. I can't guarantee that this will work for you, but I was able to restore ALL of my WEI scores.

Original Windows 8 scores:
    I have the NoctiNOC-MSATA-120G, hence the fast HDD, but I don't recommend this drive, it will crash hard on waking from sleep unplugged.

Final Windows 8 scores:
    I was able to restore the graphics rating by following this guide on using legacy windows 7 intel HD graphics drivers for "old" arrandale chips:
    How To: Install "legacy" Intel HD Graphics drivers on Windows 8

I was able to restore the processor speed by using Throttlestop, making sure to untick "BD PROCHOT".
    Thanks to this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep1...wer-than-clover-trail-sumsung-series-5-a.html

I also have full Pen pressure support, across Apps, using unmodified 7.103 wacom drivers, with no tiny keyboard issues.
    I hope this limited info help others.

I've read from the developer of Throttlestop that setting the bus speed to 166Mhz and using Throttlestop could provide a large gain, with 30/30 TDP/TDC and Force TDP/TDC set to 8 in the program's settings. I don't think anyone has overclocked the ep121 yet, not so?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

you cannot overclock as the vga clock is proportional to pll clock ouput...you will loose visual display..and memory channel too..

3. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

i had no trouble w/ the ocz nocti drive after updating to the modded 704 bios.

4. shnfara

shnfara Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tip!

5. shnfara

shnfara Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated my bios to the latest 704 modded ones by CF77, still crashing on wake. I have a feeling my issues came from cloning the original 64gb SSD to the OCZ Nocti. Others who did the same have reported this issue on this forum and others: Asus EP121 Zone

wicked1, did you clone your original SSD or start from scratch?

6. shnfara

shnfara Pen Pal - Newbie

just found this Resolved NOC-MSATA-120G BSOD after Sleep

turns out uninstalling Intel's RST ACHI does the trick.

7. shnfara

shnfara Pen Pal - Newbie

please remove my last post, no one should uninstall their Intel RST ACHI drivers, it prevented my machine from starting windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.