Windows 8 preview on Dell XT

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jhoff80, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

j: As a point of reference, my XT2 (Win7) is working OK. In fact, I'm writing this message on it!

I didn't attempt to load any of the Win8 Previews on it, so I don't know if touch is adversely affected...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not sure. Honestly, I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Windows 8 N-trig drivers don't include any sort of EM calibration like the Windows 7 drivers do. Luckily, the pen still works fine, so it hasn't affected my OneNote use at all. But touch has been useless over the last week or so. Still hoping that N-trig gets that stuff ported over to Windows 8 for the old devices, but I'm not holding my breath for that, I'm sure they're hard at work on new hardware instead.

Still, I'm definitely looking forward to eventually upgrading in the fall or winter timeframe.

3. jhoff80

I just noticed that as of August 13, there's a v2 Windows 8 driver that includes a calibration utility. I'll be trying that as soon as I get home this evening, and I really hope it fixes my issues.

4. jhoff80

As I expected, the ability to calibrate the touchscreen makes everything usable again. Definitely a good thing that I can actually use touch again when I'm trying to hold out for the Surface Pro early next year. :p

5. ravic

ravic Pen Pal - Newbie

awesome, great news. I am installing RTM of Windows 8 as i type this. I am going to try the new touch driver with that.

6. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed windows 8 enterprise 64x RTM on my Dell XT2 and works fine.
    Touch responsiveness with a clean install works just fine, but installed the N-Trig Beta as well, and also works very well.
    I can say windows 8 is more responsive than windows 7.

I also read someone over here having some installation problems?
    Is this related to dotnet?
    I had some issues with this as well, but I had to enable dotnet 3.5 in the software (un)installation windows properties (i'm Dutch so don't know the english words used).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. rovingfinger

rovingfinger Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have installed Windows 8 pro RTM on my dell XT2. Pinch zoom works fine, and four points on the multitouch are detected, but none of the gestures work. I was told by product support to go to the ntrig site and download some default drivers for Windows 8 (dpinst.exe). Did that, but no multitouch support. Can you help me.. .??? to get multi touch.. (drivers and other possible issues).
    Second problem, is that I have a DVI port on the Media base.When I connect a Dvi cable, from the laptop to the Monitor - No Picture. In Fact, the DVi port does not seem to have been detected or drivers for the media base are not installed correctly.

Third problem - I have installed the bluetooth drivers, the bluetooth light on the display lights up, but there is no icon from where I can control bluetooth devices. The programs shows up in my Add /Remove program window, but no bluetooth control is available.

Would appreciate any tips to resolve the three issues. BTW, all these worked fine in Windows 7 64 bit, and the first time I installed Windows 8 pro (upgraded). Then it all stopped working..!!!!

8. jrk190

jrk190 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's been a while, but I'm on windows 10... Out of box works, but not multitouch... Advice?

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Out of box works, but not multitouch...>>

...Can you tell me what pen & touch driver you are using? Did you attempt to load the Dell driver?

10. jrk190

jrk190 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I used the out-of-box drivers, but am on the 4.99 drivers. N-trig's website is down so I can't get drivers from there and dell's drivers fail on installation unless I copy the files from the temp folder. If anyone could share the drivers that work with multi-touch on W8/10, I'd appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.