Windows 8 on the Slate 500

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dgoodisi, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

W8 beta coming in February. I'll give it a try then.

2. cspiker23

cspiker23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried extracting 50505 with 7zip and do not see where Disk1/x32/DPInst.exe is at all. And with the other way of installing ntrig, where are %temp% files on Windows 8? Thanks.

3. cspiker23

cspiker23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I found out where both of those are but now when updating duosence in manager it just comes back found your drivers but could not install because it could not find the files specified and I'm including the entire temp file. It wont even let me install ntrig in compatibility mode just comes back fatal error that the system has not been modified and to try again later. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again

4. Bronsky

5. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Can't W8. Sorry, couldn't resist.

6. Bronsky

As the owner of pre gen 3.5 hardware, my spider senses are tingling.:(

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...As the owner of pre gen 3.5 hardware...>>

...My understanding is that N-trig is thinking about a follow-on release of Win8 compatible drivers for Gen 3.0 hardware once the current 3.5 release is completed. This would be aimed at the Dell XT, XT2, HP tx-2 and similar vintage machines.

However, the HP Slate 500 / Slate 2 lie right in the middle; Gen 3.0 hardware with firmware modified for the battery-powered Digital Pencil. My guess is that they will release a special version of the new Gen 3.5 drivers for HP at about the same time. That's just my opinion, though.

8. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Installed Windows 8 and had things working well until I installed the HP Quick Launch software in compatibility mode (as recommended earlier in this thread) to try to get screen auto-rotate to work. Then I lost touch input! Pen input still works, but touch is gone. What do I do? When I go to Control Panel to try to uninstall HP Quick Launch, it's not on the list of installed programs. Any suggestions?

Edit: This is driving me nuts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled every piece of software I added to the slate after installing Windows 8 and touch is still not working (pen is). The only touch input that works is on the initial on-screen keyboard to enter my password. Other than that, touch is dead! If anyone has a clue as to what I may do or try, please let me know.

Edit: Problem solved. After much tinkering, I found the culprit. It was the old "touchcontrol" app that worked well in Windows 7 (not the one cmergel designed for Windows 8, which works well). The old one does not work well here, but it actually executes itself after rebooting if you tinker with it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. Bronsky

Glad to see you got it resolved. I went back to W7 on my slate last November because of the N-Trig driver issue. Looks like my slate will be retiring soon.:cool:

10. gurugopal

gurugopal Pen Pal - Newbie

Yesterday, I installed windows 10 (technical preview) on Slate 500. Everything working fine. After installation, I found 3 devices to be installed. 1. GMA500 I downloaded latest windows7 from intel site and changed properties of setup to compatibility mode and installed. 2. N-Trig, I downloaded latest windows 8 drivers from manufacturer site and installed. Media so ..... I have shown the previous installation Drivers I kept in back up (system32/drivers folder) and installed immediately.

My first impression is windows 10 is great battery life, and speed comparing to windows 7. Its eat away 10gb after installation