Windows 8 on the Slate 500

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dgoodisi, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Brianflys

Brianflys Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the Garmin GPS 10X. Bluetooth with long battery life. Can get a long day of flying in with battery life to spare. Fast strong bluetooth connection with the Slate.

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I reverted back to Windows 7 so I could play with the HP Slate 2 swype, but after about a day I have Windows 8 back on it and loving it (excluding the the W8 Tiles).

I found a useful user post where they renamed the C:\windows\system32\shsxs.dll, which disables the Windows 8 tiles. I am not a big fan of the tiles and I just can't operate with the distorted 1024x768 screen, even with the 150% text size. Keeps the Windows 8 login, the Windows 7 Start menu, and the Windows 8 Windows Explorer, which I kind of like.

3. vtgant

vtgant Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone figured out a way to enable Flicks? If so, I may give it another try. What is the link to the user post?

4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

5. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed this and I am having issues with IE10. When I setup my favorites bar, I cannot seem to click on any of the links. I would make a folder for my sites, then click on the folder and as I try and click a link, the folder closes. Anyone else have this bug?

6. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

This actually occurs throughout windows 8. I could tap to open a menu, then when I try and select a link in the menu, the menu just closes.

7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Can confirm that I too have this issue in IE and some menus.

8. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your reply! I actually had to uninstall it due to that reason. Have you tried using another browser?

9. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

Firstly I wanted to thank you all for your hard work on this review. After reading it through I followed the steps and installed it on my Slate and I love it.

Aside from the two buttons that don't work, the only woe I am suffering is Wireless Connection. Sometimes the Slate will fail to connect to any WiFi, fail to find any problems with the trouble shooter and requires a log off (sometimes a restart) to get it working. The times it works it works flawlessly and quickly.

Anyone come across this problem? I have the drivers from the HP Website installed.

10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I have not tried another browser. As a workaround I use the alternate Favorite browse button "The STAR icon" in the upper right to access the menu and that seems to work. I also downloaded a shutdown/restart gadget, since the restart link doesn't work for me. For me the gains of W8 outweigh the minor issue, so far. It is annoying, don't get me wrong, but I can workaround them. I am looking forward to the beta in January, hopefully some of these issues are fixed.

Update:
    I also have this problem on my TC1100 with W8DP, so it is definately a W8 issue.