Windows 8 on the Slate 500

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dgoodisi, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

Friend me.. bonezy_pa

I play with a cool bunch of older players.

2. squiggs1982

squiggs1982 Pen Pal - Newbie

Inexplicably, after installing some updates from windows update, it worked! Very odd. :D

Now I'm struggling to get rotation to work, although I have installed most of the driver packages from the HP website successfully, barring the Ntrig drivers - I get a "host driver" conflict.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just threw Windows 8 on my Slate. Still very glitchy and buggy...but overall I'm loving it.

Metro apps excluded, it is faster. And the new TIP is fantastic....very much digging it.

I also like how the OS responds to touch input, with the little marks and trails. Can't say I've noticed any increased pen performance though. oddly I don't even have a cursor. The pen does work..just no cursor/hovering.

4. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hopefully there will be much better performance and response with the beta, then the RC, then RTM...

I'm so spoiled, cause now I can't wait for the beta.

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you cugel to remind me this point.
    This will make me wait.

6. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Running into a problem where I can't log in any longer. I get the log on page (using local user), but after typing in password, shows please wait and then it goes back to the main load page (time/date). It continues to go back and forth. It happened before and I ended up reinstalling W8.

Installed HP Drivers (50504, 51650, 50480, 53663, 50503, 50501, 50505)
    Installed Windows Updates (9 W8 updates)
    Installed a couple of apps (7zip, Dropbox, Adobe Reader, Norton Antiviru 2012 (eval), CrystalDiskMark, and the Last app I installed was CutePDF).

Thanks.

======
    UPDATE:
    ======
    I was about to restore last recovery point but it started working. I had it sitting on the dock at work for the last several hours and all of a sudden it started working. I was able to log in.

One of the last apps that I installed was Norton Antivirus 2012 and when I tried to run live update it gave me an error. I then installed CutePDF and the next time it was restarted is when I ran into the problem. I think it might be related to Norton, because when I was able to log in it popped up that it had been updated. Just a guess. Looking at the event logs now to see if something pops up.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

One thing I will say is with Windows 8, 4 way auto rotation works :)

8. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I can't seem to find the "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch" folder after installing SP51650 HP Quick Launch. It doesn't extract out either when I use 7zip. Am I missing something?

9. squiggs1982

squiggs1982 Pen Pal - Newbie

cmergel - have a look in c:\swsetup. My autorotate now works.

10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Got it installed. thanks...