Windows 8 on S7S Guide

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by plnguyen, Oct 28, 2011.

1. plnguyen

plnguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, I got my S7S yesterday and one of the first things I did was install Windows 8 on it. Does anyone have a guide on how to get things to work with the Slate? Here is what I noticed so far...

- After installation, I noticed that there two devices that didn't have drivers. The SM Bus one could be fixed from the Chipset drives here:
    Samsung
    - The other one is an "unknown device" so I'm not sure how to fix that.
    - Update: The unknown device is the accelerometer. Download the "motion sensor" drivers and install it with Windows 7 compability enabled. Afterwards, right click on desktop and click screen resolution. Check the "allow the screen to auto-rotate". Screen rotation should now work.

- The rotation does not work, I have to manually change the screen orientation from the display settings
    - Update: see above

- Screen lock button does not work but the volume and sleep button works.
    - The home button does not seem to do anything if you push it once, but if you push it twice, it switches applications like and Alt-Tab.
    - Update: Download the Samsung firmware at http://www.samsung.com/us/business/support/downloads/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A04US. Install it using Windows 7 compability. After rebooting, the Windows and Screen Lock button should work.

If anyone knows anything else that does not work or anymore fixes/tweaks please post them. Or if there's a guide out there somewhere on the internet, please link it. Thanks!

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If rotation isn't working, maybe the accelerometer is the other unknown device.

3. Omniscaper

Omniscaper Pen Pal - Newbie

The installer for the accelerometer doesn't work on W8, but if you did a non destructive install of W8 (you still have a folder called Windows(old)) I pointed the "unknown" entry in device manager to the windows(old)/system32 folder and it finds the drivers. Rotation will work but needs to be activated from the resolution menu.

My only issue with W8 that made me revert back to w7 was with the little options power management profiles provided. It was more robust for for this tablet in W7. Was a fun personal experiment tho, not looking forward to relearning windows navigation next year.

4. ksj

ksj Pen Pal - Newbie

If you press and hold the Windows button it will take you to the desktop.

Pressing the Windows button and the power button at the same time is the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del and will let you lock the PC, switch users, log off, change your password, or open task manager. You'll need that if you join a domain as you have to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in.

5. plnguyen

Ahhh so that's how you Ctrl-Alt-Del. I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

6. plnguyen

- If you goto Control Panel --> Windows Mobility Center, there's a screen rotation button and other really convenient shortcuts. I have it running in the background and when I need screen rotation I just change it from there.

7. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes... I happen to have a guide for installing Win8 on the Series 7... all the steps you need to have a complete install of Win8TP with all drivers and sensors working with the Win8TP build. I will post it up this weekend or early next week. If you follow the guide you will have everything working with no bangs in device manager and all buttons working as needed for Win8.

8. theamazingrando

theamazingrando Pen Pal - Newbie

Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 for the installer.

9. plnguyen

Cool. I would love to get the lock screen rotation button working.

10. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, you can get it to work. (BTW..the rotation lock screen just check/unchecks the "allow automatic rotation" checkbox in the display settings (but you will not see this unless the accel sensor driver is installed correctly.)

11. plnguyen

How did get the lock button to work ?

12. Saluda

Saluda Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the guide cover installing Win8 in a Virtural Machine, or creates a partition? Looking forward to seeing it, thinking I am ready to start playing with the VS 11.

13. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

No, it was written for a "clean install".

14. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I can't get mine to work, either.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable auto brightness without installing easy settings? Something made my auto rotation disappear (even though the accelerometer was still installed.) I just reinstalled 8 and I'd rather install the minimum amount of stuff.

Also, has anyone's on screen keyboard had the mode switching button break? This is the button in the bottom right that lets you switch between full keyboard, thumb keyboard, and transcriber. When it stops working, the icon disappears. If you click it, the key turns white and stays white and does nothing.

I don't know what causes it to break, but once it's broken, I can't get it to work again. It seems to be user-account specific. It works fine on other user accounts I create, but once it breaks on one account it stays broken.

This happens both on my slate and on my HP 2740p.

15. DanielT

DanielT Pen Pal - Newbie

Better,....You can use the WIN+O keyboard shortcut to enable or disable the screen rotation :)

16. peterf

How do I press the Windows key? The on screen keyboard doesn't have a windows key. I've even remapped the button on the front to be windows but since it is multifunction, it only hits the windows key if you tap it, not tap and hold.

Looks like I'll be doing some remapping to get the rotation lock button to hit windows+o and do it's function!

Though it still really annoys me when the keyboard mode switching button breaks!

EDIT: That was easy. Use KeyTweak to map the rotation lock button to scrolllock and use this autohotkey script
    ScrollLock::Send {LWin Down}o{LWin Up}

Great, as I finished this my OSK button just broke. Doesn't even last a day.

17. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

On Screen keyboard button?.. which button are you refering to?

18. peterf

The button in the bottom right on the on screen keyboard.

19. domineus

domineus Pen Pal - Newbie

2 questions
    1. Where is the camera driver - like which one is it
    2. Where can I find the Asus ep121 drivers?

20. peterf

Camera was automatically installed for me