Windows 8 on EP121!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by chapmattman, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all-
    I hope this doesn't double post, I thought I posted it earlier. If it does hopefully the mods will remove it.

I got my new EP121 last Thu, they are very hard to get for list price these days! I had been craving it since CES 2011, but because I had no idea what MS was doing with Win 8 I waited for more info.

In June they did a 30 min preview of Windows 8, and the EP121 was one of the devices they showed it on. If you haven't seen the full video, it is here (I recommend watching the whole thing, but if you don't have that kind of time, the EP121 appears at 16:40):

Windows 8 Unveiled to the World 30 Min. Video - Softpedia

When I saw that I knew it would be safe to buy the 121, so I did. It is a pity that the 121 won't have snap features, but I think Windows 8 will be quite cool on it.

Who knew the Bezel was also touch enabled!? :p

What do you guys think? Will you be loading the Beta of Windows 8 on your EP121 as soon as it comes out?

Chap

2. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes! But, that's sort of my job.

3. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah cool. Are you going to Build, wicked1?

4. DallasVette

DallasVette Pen Pal - Newbie

30 minute video?! [​IMG]

5. Octavean

Octavean Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, they have the video here on youtube as well:

Windows 8 demonstration - YouTube

Its worth a quick look especially when you know exactly (or near) where to look.

Anyway, yes, I plan to install some version of Windows 8 on my ASUS Eee Slate EP121. I say this largely because I have been thinking about ordering a Microsoft Technet Subscription for some time now and I think I’m about to order today. If I order and activate now the subscription might elapse before Windows 8 actually goes Gold (2012,....) but I think renewing will be worth it as well as cost less.

So yes, definitely,…..

If ASUS continues with this line of products I suspect Windows 8 snap features will be supported as higher resolution screens seem like a logical upgrade.

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows 8 will most certainly be installed onto a Virtual machine but might not instantly be installed onto my tablet as I use it day to day...

However by that time an Acer W500 might be going for a few ££ as a test unit. Might even eventually pick up a second hand EP121

7. JustPlainDon

JustPlainDon Pen Pal - Newbie

"Anyway, yes, I plan to install some version of Windows 8 on my ASUS Eee Slate EP121. I say this largely because I have been thinking about ordering a Microsoft Technet Subscription for some time now and I think I’m about to order today. If I order and activate now the subscription might elapse before Windows 8 actually goes Gold (2012,....) but I think renewing will be worth it as well as cost less."

Octavean,

Be sure to do an online search to find a discount code if you are a first time subscriber. Also your subscription is good for a year (but your keys don't expire).

8. RWalrond

RWalrond Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll be installing it on my ep121 the afternoon they let us have it at BUILD. I only hope it will come on a usb drive.

9. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

10. rancher5

rancher5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Right now just the ability to run Adobe CS5 and yes 3D option works to not blazing fast but stil for a 1.5 pound device I love it, Win 8 should still allow
    CS5 Suite I think but for light duty work it will helpthe battery life, I just they woulod come up with a better battery period mine is only good now for 2hours period, Oh well thats part of tech developement, I hope the industry
    doesn't keep the half baked Ipad fad, Yes It has its place as my smart phone does which if it had a bigger screen would be a better Ipad, Off topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.