Windows 8 Installed!

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by SDreamer, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexkass

Alexkass Pen Pal - Newbie

any battery results?

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

How much hard drive space do I need? Would 15Gb suffice?

3. hirent

hirent Biker Punk

So after hours of frustration, working on this has paid off.
    I was near to giving up, switching between two hard drives; a 200GB, 5400 rpm Toshiba and a 750GB, 7200 rpm Seagate. Kept getting the same blank screen -- thought maybe switching to a different drive with a fresh, blank install might work. Of course it didn't.

But finally, something I tried worked and its been running stable for the last hour or so. I decided its too good to not share.

Btw: I'm dual-booting Win 7 & Win 8. Installed Win 7 first and then Win 8. The Win 8 bootloader will replace the Win 7 bootloader. And its graphical too.

System Specs:
    Core i5 430um
    Switchable Graphics = Intel HD Graphics + ATI HD5450

What is installed and working:

Intel Graphics
    ATI Graphics
    CCC + Switching
    MS Office 2010
    Synaptics Touchpad
    Touchscreen & Pen Digitizer (addl. drivers not reqd.)

Screenshots attached with driver number.

I attached an external monitor and ran the Intel HD Graphics driver install.
    It goes through its unzip process and extracts all files to 'C:/swsetup'.
    Then it starts to install but shows the message that no installable components found.
    So I disabled the Intel adapter in Device Manager and ran the ATI install again. But this time, I changed the compatibility of the actual setup file in the 'swsetup' folder to Win 7 and ran the file as an administrator.
    Reboot and everything worked!

Only thing is, the brightness still doesn't work without disabling and enabling the adapter. I'm running it on the Intel graphics to extend battery life.

Before this install, the screen would blank out in 10-15 mins; after this install, I've been using it for nearly 2 hrs. without a single blackout. Seems stable so far.

All touch functions are working, and even the Pen worked flawlessly. No need to install any drivers for either.

For the Mouse pad, I have always used the older Synaptics drivers. They have always worked for me. And they are working in this Win 8 install too; two-finger scrolling included. The version no. is in the image.

Good Luck!

P.S.: This entire post was typed & prepared in the new Win 8 install (not the touch KB though).

Attached Files:

4. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've read in one thread on Microsoft's forum, battery life is abysmal right now. This can be due to the lack of decent drivers.

I'd say 20 gigs is safe, 16 gigs is really pushing it.

5. GlobexCo

GlobexCo Pen Pal - Newbie

No luck here, but I added Windows Mobility Center (search -> apps) to my home screen and the rotate button on that works. Additionally, you can right click your Windows desktop and adjust orientation on the screen resolution menu.

6. chinatm2t

chinatm2t Pen Pal - Newbie

congrtulations~but there r some drivers which cann't be installed on win8.That means some devices cann't launch.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Dual Boot Windows 8 from VHD using Windows Setup

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the same black screen issue too, but I could get my screen back by pulling the shut down button a few times, so the lockscreen magically appeared. From there I logged in and installed the ATI drivers found on the HP site in windows 7 compatibility mode (not sure if it's necessary) and things suddenly started to work.

9. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Brightness controls seem to stick if you boot on battery. I'd recommend installing the driver for your graphics, it makes the rotation smoother. For me it eliminated the black screen between rotation, still have to use mobility center to do it though.
    Other things to note is the lack of other pen input modes. There is no character mode, TIP dock is also fixed at two lines. I've yet to figure out how to make it work more like previous versions... New OSK doesn't seem to have an option for special keys such as alt. I do see a control key though.

10. Fkn0wned

Fkn0wned Pen Pal - Newbie

switchable drivers do work fine, and i'm on the newest ATI driver 11.9!

BUTTTT using msi afterburner to overclock no longer works in windows 8, if there is any alternative method to get a little OC to work id appreciate it, when I try with afterburner and click apply the computer just freezes and reboots itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.