Windows 8 Installed!

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by SDreamer, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Was going to try it on mine with switchable graphics, but going to wait i think.

Tried it in wmvare and maybe give it a go on a netbook.

2. Fkn0wned

Fkn0wned Pen Pal - Newbie

anybody found a compatible driver for the ati+intel combo with working switchable graphics?

I have the i5 U470 + ATI 5450m and would really like to get this working without having the screen go blank and or turn off completely.

3. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the tm2-1100 CTO that comes with the i5 U430 and the same graphics card and everything works fine with the original drivers I downloaded from HP's website.

4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Good to know! That's the machine I've got too.

Edit: So you installed every single driver from HP or just some of them?

5. Fkn0wned

Fkn0wned Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you have to install them in any sort of compatibility mode?

When i install the drivers whether it be the ones from windows update or the HP driver package i restart my computer and when it displays the lock screen it is just blank with the backlight on... and then it just shuts off the monitor.

no switchable graphics with the ones in windows update, and it also makes it show you have two monitors in the display properties.

6. deyanimay

The ones I did install were:

1. Touchpad drivers
    2. All the intel ones (ie. turboboost)
    3. Graphics card drivers
    4. Fingerprint reader (just for the heck of it since I don't see any settings for fingerprint readers in windows 8.)
    5. HP framework and quicklaunch.

7. deyanimay

Don't instal the ati drivers from windows update they will always give you that black screen. Try doing a system restore from the boot menu then install the hp ones. As far as compatibility I've had to reinstall the os twice now because of my own stupidity (moving partitions) The first 2 times I installed all the drivers in windows 7 compatibility, but on the last install I didn't bother and it didn't seem to make a difference. If you run into an error installing anything the first thing you should try is win 7 compatibility and make sure its running as admin. Good Luck.

8. taoyue

taoyue HP Elitebook 2740p

That's by design.

Windows 8 takes a memory snapshot after the kernel is fully-loaded. After installing new drivers, the next restart will go through a full boot process and be only a tiny bit faster than Windows 7. All subsequent restarts will skip the boot and simply load the snapshot into memory.

It's essentially hibernation, but using an image of a clean system rather than with a user logged in and applications running.

9. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally got it installed. Any tips how to get the touchpad working?

10. kougei

kougei Pen Pal - Newbie

I got this installed yesterday. To anyone wanting the most painless method, follow this guide as I did ....

Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Developer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) - Scott Hanselman

I used the GUI to create a Fixed 20Gb VHD, as I don't have that much spare space on my 96Gb SSD, but Windows8 only needs around half this space, but 20Gb is the spec for the 64-bit download.

Everything worked first time, no issues. I stayed in the system on first boot to play, and eventually ran Windows Update to install the newer drivers. I then had the 'black screen' issue others reported after reboot. However in my case powering down by holding down the TM2 power button, and then power on seems to resume it from a sleep state, I don't need to reinstall or anything. I'll probably do the same as others and install the HP driver though.

My only annoyance is that in laptop mode, if you move the mouse off the screen bottom-left this pops up the Start Menu, OK as alternative to Windows keyboard button.

However, in Tablet mode, I can't find a way of accessing the Start Menu via Touch, any swiping or pressing in bottom-left corner does nothing. I assume all tablets will require a 'hard' windows button.
    LATER: A swipe on middle far right from edge inwards, seems to access Start Menu in Tablet Mode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.