Windows 8 - From a tablet perspective review

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by negative1, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I thought it was a good review. Despite the fact that Ars always bends over backward to find the negatives in Microsoft products, they basically loved Win 8 on a touchscreen device with two exceptions: (1) some menus still have a Win 7-esque look, and (2) the on-screen keyboard doesn't work well with Win 7-era desktop apps that aren't designed with it in mind (and thus have menus appear in places hidden by the on-screen keyboard). The amount of positive stuff about Win 8 in an Ars review is really a testament to how good Win 8 is on touchscreen devices.

The first complaint is legitimate, but more aesthetic than functional. Something for Microsoft to work on, but not a deal-breaker.

The second one...when would this really come up? Windows RT devices won't be able to run third-party software on the desktop, and third-party Metro apps will all be designed around on-screen keyboards. As for Win 8 Pro touchscreen devices running Win 7 software...how often is someone going to have (1) a straight-up tablet with no physical keyboard (not even a keyboard cover or bluetooth keyboard), (2) running Windows 8, and (3) running Windows 7 software that has not been updated for Windows 8? I'm not saying it will NEVER be an issue, but it won't be a common one.

3. jagger

jagger Pen Pal - Newbie

i think windows 8 would look cool on tablets. Soon i bet the androids and ios will soon have something similar. it definitely makes the interface looks futuristic. closest is the nokia lumia interface which is awesome but the phone design is awful to say the least.

4. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not nokia lumias interface, but windows phone (microsoft) interface.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I, personally, don't have any issues with Windows 8 on the desktop. It's literally just another click or search away to do anything that I already did under Windows 7. I can see why people might want to scream but I feel that the internet gets carried away with things

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I mostly don't. My only real issue with it is the Tablet Input Panel is a downgrade, and can no longer pop up a button near where you tap, and also isn't context sensitive enough to know the difference between tapping with the pen and tapping with your finger, to pull up different keyboards for each (ie, handwriting recognition for the pen, virtual keyboard for a finger). That being said, it's actually pretty rare that I use the pen for direct handwriting recognition of text anyway, so that's pretty much a very minor annoyance.

Overall though, I agree. Windows 8 on the desktop is much more solid than a lot of people are giving it credit for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.