Windows 8 Drivers

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Seketh, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Seketh

Seketh Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

Almost correct:

1G TM2 - Last Generation Core 2 Duo.

2G Tm2 - 1G Core i3/15.

Anyway, has anyone found the right brightness settings using Leshcat Brighntess Resolver? I really didn't want to try the Windows 7 drivers and find out the correct brightness settings, I have the best performance ever with the 12.11 Beta 11.

2. redsand426

redsand426 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm on stock driver and the brightness resolver is showing "0xf800" value for both the intel and ati gpu's (corei5/5450). But I was messing with the brightness values when I was on leshcat's beta 11, so I don't know if those are the default values or not. I never was able to get brightness fully working on the ati gpu w/ Leshcat's drivers.

Regarding the graphics drivers, I just want to give my 2 cents. I find the stock drivers from HP (sp50550) work the best in terms of fan/heat/brightness control/battery life. I don't play games on the tm2, so I can't really comment on the 3D performance of HP vs Leshcat drivers, but my Windows Experience Index score is the same between HP and Leshcat drivers. I don't see a reason to update the graphics drivers from the stock HP to any of Leshcat's.

To install the stock HP graphics drivers on Windows 8, just extract the drivers, close the ATI installer, open the extracted folder (sp50550), right click setup.exe and run the installer in win7 compatibility mode.

BTW if anyone knows how to get win8 snap to work on our TM2's let me know! This is the only feature I wish we had. So far I think the tm2 was ahead of it's time :)

3. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone tried new 13.1 leshcat drivers? Leshcat

4. redsand426

redsand426 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tested them out

HP sp50550
    [​IMG]

Leshcat 13.1
    [​IMG]

Performance seems better than stock, but at the cost of brightness issues and a louder fan. I couldn't get the HDMI audio driver to install with the latest leshcat either. I'll test them a bit more to see how battery life goes

5. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright, thanks, when you say brightness issues do you mean you can't control brightness when using the HD 5450? Think that's probably a deal breaker for me, even though flash performance on 12.9 leshcat is terrible on ati

6. THE_CD

THE_CD Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone tried clean install of Leshcat’s Catalyst 13.1 WHQL UnifL V2.1
    Brightness issues finally fixed ? ?

7. smithn.nc

smithn.nc Pen Pal - Newbie

Aside from using the stock HP drivers, does anyone know the last Leshcat drivers that work in Win8 including brightness _and_ wakeup from sleep? Video is one of the last reasons I keep getting annoyed with Windows 8 on my TM2T.

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm glad that there are curious folks who have the time to figure this stuff out. ;) I wish I could play with this stuff, but real life just keeps getting in the way...

Anyway, I wanted to ask if your fingerprint reader and password vault are working?

How about battery issues? My understanding was that the video drivers were turning on both integrated and accelerated graphics adapters, with the result being more battery drain, more fan on time and more heat.

Are these issues fixed?

I have a Gen1 tm2t and a Gen2 tm2t with two copies of Win 8. Love to know these issues are addressed before I jump in.

9. me8myself

me8myself Pen Pal - Newbie

The latest leshcatlabs drivers 13.3 still have the same no brightness control issues. Interestingly, he is getting the drivers digitally signed so there should be no need for enabling test signing mode in the future.

10. Seketh

Also have them working, now waiting for 13.5 Beta 2.:p

There seems to be a bug in the Intel drivers since about version ~2532 (the last official one). Internet Explorer, Office 2013 and other apps can crash if hardware acceleration is enabled....

11. THE_CD

THE_CD Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Seketh, did you manage to install new leshcat drivers (13.4 v2, 13.5beta2) with working brightness on both GPU ??
    I saw in comments on leshcatlabs.net that lesh give you new value to test, did you give it a try.

12. Seketh

Well, I made that comment prematurely. The switching stopped working after reboot, and the value did nothing. So, still no proper drivers for the Tm2, which is a shame, since both the 13.4/v2 and 13.b2 fixed my crashes with the Intel GPU.

I would recomend everyone to post a comment in the leshcat website. We'll only have a proper driver if he feels the need to fix a specific laptop config. I'll keep testing new releases and post the results here.

Meanwhile, I've rolled back to the OEM HP drivers, since I need brightness in the AMD GPU. By the way, does anyone knows of a more recent AMD package with working brightness?

13. THE_CD

THE_CD Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still using 12.9 Sep4 UnifL, brightness working on both GPU but sleep mode not working on them and performance is poor especially on AMD card.

Anyway I form a ticket a while back and problem is still there :-(

EDIT: Hey Seketh I read somewhare on the net that there is Advanced Menu in TM2's BIOS where you can turn off Intel GPU, have you try this ? ?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  14. Leapo

Leapo Pen Pal - Newbie

Try spamming the "A" key on the keyboard while trying to get into the BIOS, this should get you into the BIOS with all advanced settings available.

If you dig around a bit there is an option to use "Hybrid" graphics, "iGPU" (intel only) or "dGPU" (AMD only).

I haven't personally tried messing with it, I'd be curious to see how it impacts drivers and power consumption. Would be handy if "dGPU" mode allowed us to use normal AMD drivers.

15. Seketh

Wow, that worked!

There's a lot of options, including Fan Control temperatures and something called CPU Boost. I have no ideia what most of that stuff does though.

Would feel more confortable messing around the bios if I knew how to reset (clear CMOS) if anything went wrong. Anyone has any ideia on how to do that?

16. Leapo

Leapo Pen Pal - Newbie

You want to leave that enabled if your CPU supports turbo modes.

On newer processors, intel has begun giving their chips two speed ratings: the normal maximum clockspeed, and a "turbo" clockspeed that can be used as long as temperatures stay low enough.

So, for example, I have a TM2-2151nr which comes with a Core i5 U470. Intel markets this as a 1.33 GHz dual core, but it will run as fast as 1.86 GHz when in "Turbo" mode.

Your signature says you have a TM2-2050ep, which comes with a Core i3 330UM. Core i3 processors do not support Turbo mode, so that particular feature isn't going to work for you.

17. Seketh

I figured as much.

I tried searching the web for more details on the various advanced settings, but couldn't really find anything besides disabling power saving features, which I'm not really interested in. There's intereresting stuff like ACPI 3.0 T-States, which is disabled by default and I suppose it's related to power features, but couldn't find any info about it, could possibly improve battery life or even performance.

But what I was really interested in is having the fan starting at a much higher temp, but the thermal controls make no sense (for me). My fan kicks in at about ~38º, which is very low, but on the bios there only seem to be 2 stages of fan speed, low and high, at 55º and 70º respectively, when the Tm2 has 3 stages of fan speed....

I haven't tried enabling only the dGPU (AMD), but from what I've read in a forum somewhere, it seems the architecture requires the iGPU (Intel) to be always active. So, it seems you could disable the dGPU and probably install official Intel drivers, which is useful for some people, but not disable the iGPU.

Still, as I said, I haven't tried it. I read that you can boot with only the dGPU active, but drivers won't load. If anyone wants to try... I can't risk a black screen right now, I need the Tm2 for college stuff. :p

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  18. THE_CD

THE_CD Pen Pal - Newbie

There's new driver on leshcat page but after reading comments it seems that brightness still not working. :-(

EDIT: Hey Seketh or anyone that tested new lesh drivers could you post some info.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  19. XperiAndri

XperiAndri Pen Pal - Newbie

I use Leshcat 12.8 in Win8
    It is the only that allows to go to sleep and has working brightness.
    The only issue is that it doesn't wake up from hibernation on AMD card because of Intel Driver issue

20. XperiAndri

XperiAndri Pen Pal - Newbie

Yahoo! I've done this!
    AMD 9.11.11 driver, Video Hardware Acceleration works, switching works almost instantly, very good!