Windows 8 Drivers

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Seketh, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Seketh

Seketh Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

(Thanks to everyone who posted newer drivers)

(Sorry for possible mistakes with the name of some settings, my Windows 8 install is in Portuguese.)

Please post if you see anything missing or have issues with a driver that might cause issues.

Make sure Windows Update doesn't install the Synaptics and/or Intel HD Graphics from Windows Update (uncheck and hide the updates)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install the .NET 2.0/3.0 framework > "Control Panel - Uninstall a program - Turn Windows features on or off - Check the box and click OK)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest drivers:

(2G Core i3/i5 Tm2 Only) :
    [Drivers] HP dm4-1XXX / dv5-2XXX / G32 / CQ32 / ENVY 14-1XXX (INTEL) (Thanks to justinkw1 for his work).

Install the following:

Intel Chipset Device Software
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology (Core i5 only)
    IDT High Definition Audio Codec
    Realtek PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Family Controller
    HP Quick Launch Software - 3.0.5 (3.00 A5) doesn't work, download 2.7.2 (2.70 A2)

Latest Wacom Driver - 7.1.0-14-46:

Synaptics TouchPad / ClickPad - Scrolling might be inverted, to fix go to the Synaptics settings, scrolling, check the inversion box, apply, uncheck the box again, apply. Set an higher scroll speed. Top and right Windows 8 gestures work.

HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor
    Install adequate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers for your model

Double check that the drivers install through the Setup. If they don't, use the Device Manager to update by searching the SWSetup folder.

Restart as necessary

HP Software Framework - Required for QuickLaunch drivers to work

HP Software Framework v.4.6.10.1

Biometric Driver & Software:

Validity Sensors (WBF) VFS301 - Unpack and go to the Device Manager - Right click the unknown device - Properties - Controller - Update - Look for software on the computer - Navigate to the folder (defaults on C:\SP56403)

HP SimplePass 6.0.100.252 Software - You might have the USB issue described by SDreamer here

Card Reader

Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader v.1.0.36.103

Switchable Graphics - Unified Leshcat Drivers:

Install the unofficial modified Catalyst drivers available here:Unified Leshcat Drivers

Be sure to follow all installation instructions and read the descriptions!

Intel Rotation Fix (Should no longer be necessary)

Enable the AMD GPU.

1)Press Win+R and write "regedit"

2)Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\]

3)With "Control" highlighted go to Edit - Find - write "rotation" and click Find Next

4)It should take you to the {4d36...} - 0000 key section. If you're in the right section, there should be a key called "Device Description - REG_SZ - Intel(R) HD Graphics.

5)Set every "rotation" key DWORD to 1, except "RotationCaps", which should be set to 7. (Just press F3 to go to the next key)

6)Reboot

Hope this helps! Feel free to add newer drivers to this thread, I will update this post.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

After tinkering more with Wacom drivers, there is no actual working driver that works for the tm2's Wacom digitizer at this time.

3. Casperhn

Casperhn Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the following AMD driver fix work with 4450?

4. Seketh

No, you can however install the latest AMD driver for Windows 7, it'll work as long as you install it in compatibility mode!

5. Casperhn

Casperhn Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for noobing around like this, but could you provide me with a link? Tried 12.1 of catalyst manager but screen turned off during installation and had to recover. I can't find the single-file driver. Many thanks in advance.

Edit: My device manager thinks its a 4500 series radeon, but i have a tm2 1080-eo which only comes with 4450 if i remember correctly. I think this is giving me some trouble..

6. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have the tm2 1080-eo, installing the old original intel\ati sp50254.exe in win 7 comp. works and it switches. The big problem is updating the ati graphics.

I have tried 12-1_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl (currently with win7) It either hangs or do not install. Just managed to update hdmi audio driver.

Edit.

3G module un2420 works.

In win7 comp install sp51022.exe and (optional) hp wireless assistant sp48392.exe. No need for the connection manager i think.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Switchable graphics did not work for me. Right after installing the OS I accepted the suggested Windows Updates. Among those updates there was an ATI driver. I wonder if installing that update prevented the switchable driver made by HP from installing properly. I tried to uninstall the ATI driver provided by MS, but after rebooting it got re-installed automatically again. Is there away to permanently rid the system from a driver so that you can replace it with the particular version of the driver you like?

The other thing that happened is that I lost my GRUB menu. I had Kubuntu installed in its own partition and it's still there, but I can no longer access it without GRUB. Is there a way to re-install GRUB without re-installing Linux?

8. Seketh

You installed the AMD Consumer Preview Driver, which has no switchable support. Try to go to the Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager, right click on the ATI display adapter - Uninstall - Delete the driver software for this adapter.

If that doesn't work, maybe a system restore will do the trick!

9. e-schreiber

I tried that, but before I have time to install the switchable driver, Windows reinstalls the driver I had just removed. I might try a re-install of Win8.

So far I'm not very excited about this new OS. Does the keyboard pop up for you when click on a text box? What about flicks?

10. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

Keyboard pops up in metro, doesn't seem to in desktop IE at least, but there is a shortcut on the taskbar that is easy to tap on. Flicks are pen only, (but in metro IE you can drag to the right and left to go back/forward through pages, which is very cool).

11. e-schreiber

I tried the switchable driver again and this time it worked! However, I decided to stick with HP's original driver since I've never had any problems with it and I don't game.

One strange behaviour is that when I boot the unit in tablet mode, the screen loads upside down (TitleBars near the HP logo and I have to manually rotate the screen 180 degrees. Any suggestions? Is that related to the the HP QuickLaunch Button driver?

So there's no solution to the TIP pop up problem? Is that a bug or intentional? Maybe Microsoft only wants people to use Pen and Touch under Metro....

Also, I miss the Flicks under Touch. All probably be back on Win7 next week.

12. SDreamer

In regards to Digital Persona, it works, but only in Desktop. It won't kick in anywhere in Metro.

Regarding the screen orientation, make sure you have both QuickLaunch and Software Framework installed, as it was in Windows 7. That should fix it, since its been working for me with that configuration.

In regards to the TIP pop up, I think it's a bug. It was working in Developers Preview I'm sure, but in Consumer Preview it seems to be gone; it really is a hassle to manual open TIP.

There were things in Developer's Preview that I thought would stay in, and seem to have changed for the better, especially the "Start Button" with a mouse, just opening the Charms menu. So I really would not hold anything final with the Consumer Preview as well.

13. e-schreiber

I have both the Framework and the QuickLaunch installed. But maybe I have a different version of either. I found this old tip regarding rotation. But I don't have the 'QuickLaunch' key under 'Hewlett-Packard'.

Where's the DEL key on the screen keyboard? I also miss a way to open programs as Admin. Without a Start menu, I'm forced to look for the executable in C:\, then right-click it.

Dude, for the first time, Windows feels like Linux to me.... :(

14. SDreamer

No clue if which is installed first matters, but I generally go software framework, then quick launch. I think I did it backwards one time, and it didn't work for me on Windows 7. I use Software Framework 4.5.1.1, and Quicklaunch 2.30 (think this is stock, not sure why I don't use the latest, might be because it interferes with screen rotation, can't remember why). That tip you found doesn't apply to 2nd gen tm2ts I believe as they use a different version of QuickLaunch from what I remember.

One thing about the OSK, is that it has many more options, there's a finger friendly one, and an advance layout. When you hit the selector key, there's another icon on there that looks like a full keyboard, hit that, and you'll get the full OSK with every key, just like OSK of Windows 7. The keys get a little smaller, but it's still very easy to type on it, just maybe a few more errors.

Regarding running programs as admin, not sure if you knew, but you can access all your apps by doing Charms>Search:Apps, or from the Start Screen, right click on open area > All Apps, or also top/bottom swipe>all apps. From here you'll be presented all your applications, seismic zoom will be pretty handy here if you have a ton of apps. Anyways, from here you can run things as admin, by either right clicking for short drag down to pull up the context menu for any app. Here you can also pin applications to your start screen or taskbar. When in doubt, search! lol. I think the Ctrl+Shift key still works for running things as admin after searching as well.

I think the problem for most people is that learned memory is getting in the way of how intuitive Windows 8 really is, that's just my opinion. Developers Preview scared the crap out of me with how bad it performed with the mouse, but the Customer Preview eased that a little, and using a mouse is a joy sometimes. What I mean by learned memory getting in the way, for instance, people are always looking for a program's own search bar, when Windows 8 offers a universal place for searching already for apps that enable it. This makes it so search is always where you will start to expect it to be. This often occurs when I read posts about the Windows Store and other apps like the Cookbook app that's on there. I'm not sure if the word intuitive is right, but Windows 8 is kinda starting to universalize program layouts similar to how Apple has done things. Most apps in iOS all look the same with the basic layouts, that's why I think it's so effective for users to move from one app to another, and still feel familiar with them; I think MS is trying to do that a little bit with Windows 8 and it's Charms menu.

15. e-schreiber

I tried it again with QuickLaunch 2.30 and it worked! Cool! But then I borked the Pen when I replaced Win8's Pen driver with HP's Wacom 1.00A. With the latter I can't get r-clicks to work. I'll try to fix it later. I'm back on Win7 now. I missed its Flicks and "somewhat reliable" TIP. Geez! Everytime MS upgrades Windows, the TIP pops up less often.

Sorry. I meant the keyboard that is launched by the TIP.... It doesn't have the DEL, Fn, Up/Down Arrows, etc. Even though it has 2 modes, both lack these keys.

I don't find it intuitive. Those drags and swipes can only be learned by accident or guidance. Some of them start inside the screen, others start on the bezel. Some go top-to-bottom, some go right-to-left. I'm sure that once the user gets accustomed to them, they all become second nature.

Thanks for the hint about RunAs. I would have never imagined that on my own! :D

16. SDreamer

I think that's the reason I stuck with 2.3 of Quick Launch, because on Windows 7 it didn't rotate with anything higher.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer, the TIP OSK actually has two keyboard modes, one that has larger keys, and one with the Fn, Del, and Arrow keys, also the Windows key. To turn it on, you go to Charms>PC Settings>General>Make the standard keyboard layout available.

I probably used the wrong lingo describing Windows 8. Honestly, I just went back to Windows 7 to have an OS that I know works, but I just went back to Windows 8 because it already had become so second nature to me (even with mouse and keyboard, I found myself going to the hot corners), and I definately missed the smoother touch experience. One thing that keeps making me want to go back is as you said, the TIP, specifically the pen input, so much more control with that. I hate the fact that you're limited to two lines.

17. artsjedi

artsjedi Pen Pal - Newbie

Im using a lot of photoshop with tm2.

In photoshop with the win8 builtin driver, it becomes slows and totally bugged.
    after install the HP TM2 drivers, it becomes great in photoshop but the windows recognize it as normal mouse.
    The pointer tip becomes like a normal mouse, not a pen. i got lost all gestures and tap&hold. it realy turns it on a normal mouse input.

Anyone has a solution for this?

18. homer1324

homer1324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my experiences with installing windows 8 Consumer preview on my tm2.

First off, I'm running the hp tm2t 2200CTO with i5 1.33 Ghz, 8GB of ram, 500GB hard drive, ATI/intel graphics hybrid.

The first time I installed it on this computer it had all sorts of issues. Screen brightness and keyboard led's (the two big issues from developer preview) worked straight out of the box but the major problems were that my pen was seen as a mouse instead of a pen and my rotation did not work.

After days of searching and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers I finally found the problem; It had to do with the way I installed windows 8 in the first place. I actually installed it as an upgrade from my previous windows 7 partition so it kept my older drivers. Just for kicks I decided to do a clean install and presto! the pen worked as a pen!

I installed all the drivers in this sticky in the order mentioned with all of the instructions except for the graphics drivers. For those I literally just went to HP's site and installed my ATI graphics drivers in windows 7 compatibility mode. To do this I first ran the sp50550 file then I went to C:/SWsetup/sp50550 and checked to run setup.exe in compatibility mode. The result of this gave me a much more stable graphics driver and has seemed to resolve all the bugs for me.

As of right now, I've got a windows 8 with all hardware functioning perfectly and couldn't be more happy with it.

Battery life is also great btw, with my computer running a full 5.5 hours on a full charge with wifi ON and note taking in one-note. (minimal web browsing+powerplan optimized for battery life)

On a side note, It would be interesting to find another hack to enable snap in metro on the lower resolution but this isn't TOO important to me.

Thanks guys, and I hope my experiences help someone!
    Homer

19. e-schreiber

So which Pen driver did you use? The one provided by Win8 itself? Does your pen right-click by press and hold and also by pressing the button? What about the eraser?

20. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Homer, what was your typical battery life in Win7, so we can understand if there's been an improvement, and to what extent?