Windows 8 cp bezel swipe experience

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by ccote, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ccote

ccote Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I don't know if it is only me but I find the touch experience with my new W500 tablet a bit disappointing with Windows 8. I also own a Asus EP121 and the reason I bought this tablet is its size and keyboard dock.

With Windows 8, we can access programs settings by swiping a finger at the right side of the bezel. With my W500, I find it hard to do it without having to retry many times. For it to work properly, I need to swipe it very slowly. It is the same th9ng with IE 10. I need to be careful and swipe my finger very slowly from top to bottom. Is there a way to circumvent this? With my Asus EP121, I do not have that behavior.

Thanks,
    Ccote

2. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here. I've just gotten used to it.

Seems natural for me now.

3. area52

area52 Scribbler - Standard Member

Perhaps touch is not calibrated correctly enough to detect the edge. Can you recalibrate? See if touch appears accurate first.

Update: Acer has new touch panel firmware that fixes the edge swipe problem. Touch is also more responsive as well. Look on their bios download section. Get the updater for touch panel, not bios. Acer US Support. Also there is risk to hardware updates failing and breaking things--in this case losing touch.

4. area52

Finally got a hold of a W500; I had a similar problem on the Samsung Series 7 Slate which I haven't had in a while. Yep, you can calibrate for better edge handling by pressing each of the calibration crosshairs a little off target (toward the center of the screen). I had trouble swiping the edges aftering installing the Win8 CP, but now I can swipe as fast as I want. Search for Control Panel and select Tablet PC Settings to find calibration options.

5. vap3

vap3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting, I got to try this with my iconia 6120 dual screen

6. afripino

afripino Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow! That fixed my swiping issue for the W500. Thanks for the tip!

7. paulbram

paulbram Pen Pal - Newbie

Relevant post over on the building windows blog today: Touch hardware and Windows 8 - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It looks like they are planning on supporting some sort of extra room on the edges for Windows 7 devices with poor edge sensitivity. I wonder if this is in the consumer preview? If so, is there something we need to do to activate it?

I'll try re-calibrating when I get home, but as it is now, I really need to swipe in slowly. It's not a big deal for me, but it kind of ruins the experience for first-time users when I'm attempting to show off how cool Win8 is!

8. Kajetan

Kajetan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I had the same experience with detecting swipes from the bezel which was far from perfect.
    After installing the latest touch panel firmware update from Acer (1007.2005) it has changed drastically. Now works almost every time.

9. area52

Glad I was able to help.

When I read about this, the impression I got was that they want to shrink down the viewable dimensions in order to gain offscreen touch space. If true, I hope things don't look noticeably smaller than they already are. This seems unnecessary if they allow for onscreen gestures and make the touch calibration better.

10. area52

Have to say I got this feeling as well, but it seemed like wishful thinking.

Update: It seems the firmware update does actually fix things. I removed my calibration and edge swipes still work unlike previous decalibrations. And taps appear to be accurate. Great job Acer and Microsoft!

11. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think they would even consider that, what they would probably do instead of have the initial detection area be [say] ~10 pixels wide, that it would be increased ~20 pixels wide, but have some further programing behind it to make it sorta 'dynamic' so as to avoid interfering with normal use; basically like you can increase the width of scroll bars within Windows to make it easier to grab, that is kinda the idea

12. area52

Agent 9, what you say appears correct, and is already implemented in the Consumer Preview from what I am reading in Sinofsky's blog post on Microsoft. I first read about this on Engadget which restated the part about losing "real estate" and I thought that meant visual/graphical(possibly the Engadget writers understanding?). Apparently this applys to only touch.

I thought the buffer was a future fix for the type of edge swipe problems present on the W500, but the newest touch panel firmware update seems to really solve this (in combination with the buffer probably).

Excerpts from the blog relevant to edge swipes:
    New UI concepts in Windows 8 also impact touch hardware design. This is another area where Windows 8 PCs will be more capable than existing Windows 7 PCs. For example, the edge swipe required to reveal the charms and app bars fundamentally changes all the assumptions made on touch hardware. Traditionally, the edges of the screen are where touch sensitivity drops off, and it’s a place that hardware manufacturers have traditionally not placed much emphasis on. The center of the screen received all the innovation, while the edges have suffered. If you have seen or experienced the Windows 8 user experience, the edge swipe is a critical part of using Windows. However, it also has a big role to play in our developer promise, as every pixel used to detect an edge swipe is a pixel taken away from the developer. For Metro style apps, where every pixel belongs to the developer, it is critical that we uphold and deliver on this promise.

We worked closely with our hardware partners to figure out a design that will allow all pixels on a touch screen to be accurate and perform well. There were many challenges here, but we were able to deliver on the promise of Windows 8 PCs that have the ability to trigger the edge swipe without taking any pixels from applications, and with extremely good edge sensitivity using touch—a promise that benefits developers and users alike. To make things work with Windows 7 PCs, we had to go in a different direction. In order to make edge swipe work consistently on Windows 7 PCs, we created a mode where there is a 20-pixel buffer to catch the edge swipe gesture. This allows a majority of PCs to reliably invoke the charms and use Windows 8 effectively. The downside of this buffer is that it takes away some real estate from the application, and from developers.
    . . .
    Swipe from edge does not always work, especially with faster swipes.
    Although we have the buffer accommodation described above, fast swipes from the edge sometimes suffer from response rate as well. Fingers that come in too fast from the edge don’t get picked up by the touch screen until it is past the buffer. Trying again at a slower speed usually helps here.
    End quote.

13. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey pal, which firmware are you referring too? I want to make sure i'm not missing out on anything.
    Win 8 CP is great. I just wish they had a decent Poker or Blackjack App :D

14. gammite

i was surprised to find a firmware update for thhe touch panel dated: 3/15/2012 and version number 1007.2005

it is located here under the bios tab.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

i have yet to run it but i will as soon as i can.

15. gammite

there is also an update to the wireless card under the drivers tab dated 3/27/2012. however, i don't see any documentation for what the changes are.

16. gammite

oops. there is more.

an updated bluetooth driver dated 3/27/2012 version number 7.4.0.115 is there as well.

i will be having a busy evening.

17. ccote

ccote Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, indeed, the firmware update resolved my swipe problem with Windows 8.

Thanks,
    Ccote

18. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool, Acer appears to be on top of things. Gammite, can you post results after all your upgrades are finished?

19. abced123

abced123 Pen Pal - Newbie

New touch firmware fix the right edge detection, it works really fast, responsive now.

Now, I have another question. When using a mouse, moving the cursor to the left side. The lower left will show a START , and upper left will show a TASKBAR-like ( in metroUI ) if you have multiple tasks like mail, desktop, chat, etc. From there , you can switch the task by mouse clicking or right click to close the tasks. How do you do this feature with swipe/finger ?

Swipping from the left side will switch the task like ALT+TAB but it is slower than by using a mouse to switch to a specific task and you are not able to close a task

20. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

Swipe in from the left and without lifting your finger swipe back out again quickly and that should bring up the application list.