Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by bates4068, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Elok

Elok Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly! The keyboard button doesn't work either

2. Titi66200

Titi66200 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. ksminiman

ksminiman Pen Pal - Newbie

joaomunhoz, I apologize I am new to this stuff but learning fast, may I ask which driver you are referring to when you say 707? I have found all the others however I am getting the horrible screen freeze issues. everything runs so much better on w8 except this freezing issue. Thank you.

found it. took a little searching though. might put a link to the other thread of for others

4. marco3181

marco3181 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I'm using ep121 with win8 cp. I succesfully installed bt driver (Just take the bt.rar on asus download, uncompress the install executable file and use directly the win7x64 install), installed volume button (Not sure how, atk Install setup?).
    Despite all these success, i have still a problem. Media center can't read wtv. Thus, live tv can't work. MCE says that the codec is not installed or damaged. Anybody had this type of problem and solved it? Thank you

5. ksminiman

ksminiman Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok got this beast running beautifully! Here is a list of the install I did to finally get back up and running:

Clean install Win8 CP

Run windows update and let it mess everything up (better now than later)

WLAN Driver (under wireless) to restore bluetooth. File can be had here:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Slate EP121

Hotkey Service Driver Version v1.0.0.3 (under utilities for the b121) will restore the volume keys. File can be had here:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Slate B121

VGA Driver (under VGA) cleans up some of the shaking issues and stops the graphics freezing. This will also give you rotation via the notifications bar in the desktop. Not the most convenient but it works for those who need it.
    File can be had here:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Eee Slate EP121

Then I used the disk clean function to remove all the previous windows files, temp files, recycle bin file and all the other error and garbage files which accumulate during install.

Finally I installed Office Professional for Outlook and OneNote and installed Firefox (preferred).

I then set up all my personal settings. I shutdown and restarted the computer a number of times to let windows learn the sequence and optimize itself (actually got considerably fast after a few cycles).

With all this done (a few days of figuring and screwing things up having to reinstall a number of times to figure out what worked and didnt) I am happy with how much faster and smoother Win8 CP runs than if you just do a simple upgrade or clean install and go.

A huge Thank You to all the people on here who have trialed and fought with all these drivers to help others figure out what works and doesn't. It would have probably taken much longer and I would have given up if it weren't for the help I found in this thread. Thank You! Hope this helps others.

6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Great news - thanks!

7. allstarleb

allstarleb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys,

How do you "revert" to windows 7 should WIN8 not be your fancy? Considering I didn't get any media really when I purchased the slate. Nor can I find the WIN7 Serial number...

Thanks,

8. allstarleb

allstarleb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

IM curious, is the responsiveness BETTER with Win8? What exactly is "better"? Im Running win8 on my desktop VMWARE so I don't know if WIn8 is going to be smoother or not.

So if someone can detail out their experience and how much BETTER WIN8 is compared to WIN7. I am frustrated with the really dinky touch interface where I sometimes have to click many times to minimize or click on a link. Is this resolved in WIN8? Even videos would be nice too.

Thansk in advance...

9. blackntan

blackntan Pen Pal - Newbie

You cannot revert back. This is explicitly stated on the microsoft faq for the consumer preview.

The only ways to preserve your win 7 installation would be to install on another partition, image your hard drive before installing the win 8 preview, or install in a virtual machine.

Fyi, the product id for your windows installation is on the back of the bluetooth keyboard that came with your tablet. It is possible to download a legal iso of win 7 home premium and make a bootable usb with it so you can reinstall it. All of the additional drivers you will need are on the asus website. You will probably lose all of your personal settings and files doing this and it takes a few hours. I would recommend buying a backup drive and imaging your hard drive so you won't have to go through all of that if something ever happens to your computer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

10. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone gotten pressure sensitivity working under Win8 on the EP121?