Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rictorg, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

I find Win8 to be a very well designed system, the only issue seems to be drivers at the moment. So I feel there could be a massive change in usability before OEM

2. tabletlegacy

tabletlegacy Pen Pal - Newbie

CruciasNZ, did you do anything special when you installed the new Win 8 N-trig driver? When I install it I lose all touch capability with no pen ability. I have tried two full OS reinstalls with no luck.

3. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

@TabletLegacy

No I just installed it as normal, I have now noticed the touch is less responsive on the login menu. It takes it awhile to "warm up" to full functionality

4. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

I've found the new nTrig drivers made things worse. Like Thadwald, touch is now very nonresponsive and intermittant, and it didn't fix the phantom touch issue. I'm going to recalibrate everything to see if it helps, otherwise, i may try to revert to the win7 drivers and let nTrig try again...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have W8 CP loaded on a 20GB partition, dual-booted with my standard W7 configuraion. I DL the N-Trig drivers when they became available and they have helped to add some functionality to W8. Only the Duo sense drivers installed. The other NTrig drivers do not install correctly, even the W7 drivers under compatability mode. Everything else seems to have installed correctly. I loaded the camera and webcam software under W7 compatability mode. The GMA and Broadcomm Video drivers loaded correctly.

[​IMG]

On my slate, the Metro is very glitchy. I don't really mind the finer resolution on the slate and it doesn't seem stretched like others have observed, but the GMA 500 graphics go crazy on my slate when it is in W8 metro mode. Here is a short video of the GMA 500 going crazy.

VID 00047-20120331-1002.3GP - YouTube

With this kind of instability in the integrated graphics driver, I doubt that I could significantly overclock the CPU in W8, even if I can get SetFSB working. I'll be trying that soon.

I agree that touch is a lot less responsive than it is in W7 (actually, W7 touch is really smooth and responsive) and I also find that inking is greatly improved in W8. With all its problems, however, I am unable to use it for anything serious like work. I spend most of my day in W7 and then play around with W8 at night.

I am not having the WiFi problems others are reporting. As you can see from the video, I am getting a strong and steady WiFi signal from my home network.

Hopefully, N-Trig will have full W8 functionality by the release of the final build and Intel will do something about its crappy driver by then. At least then, I can evaluate the interface on its own merits.

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Touch is fairly responsive and accurate for me-- that is, until I install the new n-trig driver. After installing it, consistency seems to degrade rapidly and after about a day of use, it is pretty much unusable. Without it there is no multitouch.

Same story with the graphics; the display seems OK with whatever driver W8 uses by default, but after installing the intel driver, I get artifacts and flickering.

The slate has also hung up quite a few times over the past few days since I've installed W8 and needed a reboot.

7. Bronsky

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to resolve some of the problems with W8 on my slate and have been having some success. I was able to get the N-Trig drivers to install without error messages by using the Roll Back function and then reinstalling the Win32 Driver.
    [​IMG]
    So, I now have an installation with no device issues.
    [​IMG]
    I've been customizing the Metro Start Menu and I must admit that it is growing on me. The only problem I have with compatability currently are my Corel Suite programs (word perfect and WP Mail). I get no touch capabilty, even though I can install them in W7 compatability mode. I'll be working on these to see if I can resolve that issue. If not, I can't think of a better reason to just switch over to MS Office. What's the best deal on a non-student version of Office.

Touch is still iffy but bearable. Hopefully, either N-Trig or W8 will provide an update that improves touch. I recommend dual booting W7/W8, as I have been working with W7 and playing around with W8 in my spare time. By having the time to play around with it, I am starting to smooth out the performance. I am also starting to learn the program and am not as helpless. I have a few questions though, for those who have more experience with the program than me.

Where are the settings for manipulating the image configurations? When we first got our slates, Rick gave us some settings that made the use of the Slate much easier. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/221069-post19.html Any idea where these settings are in W8?

I also don't see a backup function in the control panel. Am I missing something?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that will suffice for now. My next task is to get SetFSB functioning in W8 so I can keep the slate running at its 2.2ghz W7 speed.

8. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the Maps app work for you? I get everything on the screen except the map itself

9. Bronsky

I get exactly the same ... I get directions, but no maps.:D

10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Bronsky,
    How did you get the Roll Back function? I started with a fresh install of W8CP and installed the updated n-trig drivers and get the same view "N-trig device Not Win8 supported upgrade it", but I have two of the devices under the N-trig DueSense(R) Digitizers that have the yellow "has issues". Also, when I right click on any of them they don't give me the Roll Back option, it is grayed out. Did you install the HP N-trig drivers first and then the updated ones?

Thanks.
    Cameron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.