Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rictorg, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been patiently waiting and reading everyone's experiences with Windows 8. So, today I downloaded, set up a partition for Win 8 and installed using a USB drive.

I had previously installed Windows 8 in VirtualBox on my desktop and that went ok. Since Win 8 is supposed to create the touch screen dream I decided I had to try it on the Slate. The only additional drivers I installed were the Intel video drivers in 7 mode.

Anyway... overall, I am not impressed. I will say the "new" blue screen of death is very smooth and efficient at sending home reports to the mothership :D

Crashed twice trying to access the Apps store. Does not bode well for downloading lots of apps. Third time was the charm. Downloaded a few apps to try. Will continue to play with them.
    Tried using the Kindle app - no luck. Can't seem to download any books
    Tried Windows Journal - pen was very smooth, no skips, loved it. Only irritation was the circle (for rt-click) kept popping up, which was annoying.
    Touch works smoother and quickly but very basic.
    Boots fast. I like the dual boot mode. I was able to set Win 7 as the first boot through the Win 8 customization menu. Really cool.

iexplorer in Metro was very slow and jerky but if I switched to desktop mode it worked fairly well. Typing in a search was slow - very slow. The letters took forever to appear.

Just my initial impressions.

Lisa

2. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, been busy as hell last few weeks so haven't checked in.

My auto-rotate started working a few days after I installed the correct stuff and set the programs for it to Win7 compatibility mode (go inside the folder after installation and change them all).

Wi-Fi is quite glitchy, sometimes it just returns a "Cannot Connect To Network" error and I have to reboot or try using tethering on the phone. It seems to do this maybe 1/10 boots.

Using Metro resolution seems to slow down the interface as it's actively having to scale everything.

The Pen right click button doesn't work very often, and works a lot when inking.

Now that said, the inking and keyboard experience is so much better that I will stick with Win8 on the device. I have Office 2010 and Bluebeam Revo installed and both work wonderfully.

One finishing note, don't autohide the taskbar because it's hell to get it back on the DP.

3. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a quick note. Of all the gripes with W8, network connection works flawlessly. My slate has absolutely no problem connecting and holding a connection. I have, so far, added three networks and it will switch with no issues once I allow connection. No clue why it works so well - didn't do anything special.

Now if only the video drivers would work better. Too much flickering when I scroll.

Lisa

4. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am just curious how hardware manufacturers can start to prepare slate/tablets this early when the Win 8 is not fully cooked yet?
    I mean it seems the Win 8 will be ready around Sept/Oct ..the same time that computer companies plan to release their tablets. Do these companies get
    the Win 8 OS long before we even get know that it is ready for full use?

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

It will RTM in the summer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like we didn't get left behind. N-Trig included the Slate 500 in its updated W8 drivers.:D http://www.ntrig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Downloads_Drivers Now that I have it downloaded, I'll take another crack at W8 tonight. I've made enough room for a 20GB W8 partition. It will have to do.

7. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes! I've stuck with W8, as a desktop it's been great, and as a tablet, works OK once the monkeys stop dancing on the keyboard, which takes a couple minutes after startup. I'll be trying it tonight as well.

8. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright so I've installed them and they work nicely. 4-Point multitouch and inking, the touch is not as smooth as on Android, but pretty damn close, inking is as always, excellent

Hopefully Boradcom do Win8 drivers now, because the wireless is still buggy as ****

9. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I cannot help but to feel disappointed with the experience of W8 on the slate so far. It seems that all parties involved dropped the ball at one point.

Touch response is sporadic and unpredictable. W8 somehow fixed the pen skips but now touch is hit-and-miss; it simply ignores some taps, making you tap multiple times to accomplish something. Thanks to n-trig. I think that company will get what it deserves in terms of market share.

None of the metro apps work, thanks to HP for the cheap, low-resolution display.

Windows 8 seems to suffer from schizophrenia, with most of the useful stuff stuck in the old Windows and half of Windows in the new Windows.

I sure hope some of these problems clear by the time W8 ships.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Windows 8 seems to suffer from schizophrenia...>>

thad: I think that Microsoft is aware that the Win8 reviews are very mixed. However, I also suspect that it is late in the game for them to attempt any dramatic restructuring of the Metro interface or its functionality. I think we're not going to see many changes whenWin8 is released later this year.

Like you, I'm afraid that Win8 is going to have problems winning user acceptance...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.