Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rictorg, Feb 29, 2012.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I didn't even consider installing Windows 8 on my Slate 2 due to various little niggles and Windows 7 is speedy enough for the moment. It's as if i know that I'll be replacing it when Windows 8 hits with some new device. Please HP... consider a Slate 3 with 1366x768 at least!

Loving the weight and build of the thing...

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The size and weight of the slate are primarily what have kept me with it. You're right about better resolution. In W8, I use the 1024 x 768 resolution, which feels far better for note taking. The notes fit the pages better when printed.

Although, I think I would like a bit more from HP for the slate 3, like better viewing angles, brighter display, a significant increase in CPU and GPU power (although I think a dual core atom will suffice) and, hoping against hope, a Wacom digitizer. I know, its an unlikely dream list.

3. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member

It may be coming: Could this be HP's Windows 8 business slate? | ZDNet

4. Bronsky

Sure looks like a Slate successor. 10" puts it in direct competition with a lot of other slates. I like the outdoor viewable option. No word if pen support means NTrig or Wacom. Hopefully, we'll see a lot of W8 mock-ups at Computex in June. Maybe this one will be there. Still, there is going to be a lot of competition for the 10" tablet dollar and HP had better bring its A-game to the table if it is going to compete. By then, ULV IB CPUs with HD4000 graphics will be finding their way into tablets like the Samsung 7(8?). I suspect it will be finding its way into some 10" units as well. Still, it's nice to see some design competition. Nice find.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Given that we don't know anything about CPU, GPU or digitizer, we can't lust for it, yet. But I want to comment on HP's impulse to get off its naming patterns. So, instead of "Slate 3", clearly the obvious choice, they went with "Slate 8"?! Come on! I liked my "Slate Gamma" better! :) I hope this rumor is both true and has been purposefully leaked! That's how you drum up expectations for future products!

Finally I can say: Congrats on the marketing front, HP!

6. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Well, from what I can deduce from the 'leaked' information I can say that this device is probably going to be a non-starter for me. Items of interest are:

1) Win 8 - I will stay with pen input on Win 7 until Win 8 SP 'n' is released that restores TabletPC function (unless Win 7 downgrade rights are also included and they may since this is targeted at enterprise).
    2) 10.1" 16:9 screen - since the 'prefered' ratio for Win 8 devices is 16:9 I am about 90% confident that this will be a 16:9 device which makes it a non-starter for me. Given the success of the iPad I am shocked that new devices are not coming out 4:3. I now demand 16:10 minimum. No longer will I take notes in a squished environment, even if the OS is trying to discourage taking notes by forcing touch typing as a prefered input method.
    3) N-trig digitizer - this is an educated guess based on the "pen optional" nomenclature. This is less of an issue than the two issues above but the desire for a Wacom machine in this size is being rekindled each time I use my new T731.

Just say'n....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  7. Bronsky

I have to agree on these two issues. I can live comfortably with W8 but the aspect ratio and Wacom digitizer are at the top of my wish list. I suspect that Wacom will be easier to find than the 16:10 ratio, but I don't think it will be impossible. I would probalby live with a 16:9 ration to keep the 8.9" display, but it looks like HP is moving up in size.