Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rictorg, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay ... I have W8 installed without anything else. The Native touch functions work quite well but I can't get touch on any of my third-party programs and it does not work properly outside of Metro. I have auto-rotation working just fine with only the W8 installation. The W8 video driver is really glitchy.

In all, W8 feels smooth but, so far, not all that much faster than W7. Metro is a mixed bag, in part, because I have no idea how to customize it. I had W7 optimized. I wonder if I will be able to get Set FSB to work?

I have no idea how to do anything, so it will be quite some time before I can tell if I like it or not. The pen seems to work natively in W8. Haven't used it much. Hand writing recognition in email is iffy. Noticed that you can't swipe with the pen. I like the keyboard, but would prefer my HVK if I can get it running.

Time to install drivers.

2. rictorg

rictorg Pen Pal - Newbie

Despite Windows 8 reporting that is has Pen and Touch Input with 4 Touch Points, I have not seen any evidence of working multi-touch. I'm not using the N-trig drivers.

3. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone else having problems with extremely sensitive touch, as in it's like a ghost is playing piano on the screen? If so, how did you fix? Tough to diagnose when the machine is operating itself!

Thanks,

Jim

UPDATE: seemed to clear after a couple reboots. I can now operate the slate.

4. Bronsky

I don't get full multitouch and can't load the NTrig driver so far. It reports a fatal error. The NTrig panel reports that it can't find the device.

Edit: Multitouch driver would also not load in W7 compatibility mode. Still reports fatal error. Will try to extract the drivers and see if I can manually load it.

5. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Bronsky: I was able to install the N-Trig drivers via DPInst.exe just like in the Developer Preview, but what seems to be happening is that as soon as you try to touch the screen the "N-Trig HID Multi-Touch" device that shows up in the device manager reports a crash. Does this match your experiences? I fear we're all in the same boat here (Slate users along with Q550, Dell XT2, etc. users), and we're all in N-Trig's hands. Did you also get the message about needing to update the N-Trig firmware when you tried to run the N-Trig Panel?

6. Bronsky

Looks like I'll be dialing back to W7 this weekend. The N-Trig drivers are not compatable with W8 CP. I can't get them to work. I even tried XP SP3 mode, Vista SP2 mode and W7 mode. No dice.

7. mluihn

mluihn Pen Pal - Newbie

I uninstalled N-Trig, now I can use the touch screen with my fingers where before I could only use the Digitizer pen. After using it a little longer the digitizer pen does not work.

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well,sorry to hear all your problems.
    I wish MS would do a better job before releasing buggy betas!
    We need cheetahs! The lions and leopards are already taken!

Microsoft better get a better handle on the tablet jungle before
    all the other animals are let loose.

9. Bronsky

Looks like all N-Trig could muster for the W8 Beta roll-out was a press release. Press Releases - N-trig A functioning driver would have been nice. AFAIK, all the N-Trig Slates are incompatable (Dell ST, Fuji Q550 & Slate 500). The Duosense driver just fails to load.

Already doing a W7 factory reset, then I'll restore from the backup ISO. Should not take too long.

10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.