1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by rictorg, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rictorg

rictorg Pen Pal - Newbie

Downloaded and installed. I had to grab the windows 7 driver for the Intel GMA and the wifi wouldn't connect without another reboot, but otherwise no issues to this point.

I like metro a lot on this tablet. I don't like the strech-o-vision of running 1024 by 768. Metro runs well even at 1024 by 600, but none of the metro apps will run. The biggest draw for me is the touch designed internet explorer 10, and it's satisfactory to this point.

To that end, there was an app for the original eeePC that would allow for larger resolutions. While it wasn't perfect (it would display 80% of the pixels or something to that effect), something similar would allow us to go to an unsupported resolution while maintaining our aspect ratio. It would really help with enjoying the Metro Apps. Perhaps someone could hobble together a version of the graphic driver that enables that (and Open GL 1.4).

Remote Desktop app has a big flaw; there's no way to pull up your keyboard. I couldn't log into my windows home server to test it out.

More thoughts to follow.
  2. dunedago

dunedago Pen Pal - Newbie

So far I am loving it. Issues I am facing are:

Screen rotation. I installed the driver per one of the threads on this forum, it worked for the developer preview but not on this one so far.

Camera. The camera app does not work. I am using the HP camera app instead.

Typing. The touchscreen is sensitive.

What Has improved:
    Performance. It is much faster than the developer preview. It handles the apps. Just like the developer preview you have to load it a couple times at first then it runs normally.

Screen resolution not stretched. I have it on max resolution so the apps can work and nothing is stretched like it was with the developer preview.

I love it and I am going to be on it all day downloading apps. Let's see what this thing can do.....
  3. rictorg

rictorg Pen Pal - Newbie

How are you avoiding the awful stretch-o-vision? When I run 1024 by 600, it looks amazing but no metro apps will run; when I run 1024 by 768 I can avoid the stretch if I put up with pillar boxing, but otherwise good ol' fashion strech-o-vision.

Of course, because it will display 1024 by 768 in pillar box, it should be equally capable of displaying 1310 (give or take a couple of pixels) by 768.

And yes, I'm very much aware that the panel is 1024 by 600, and anything outside that is not optimum, but Microsoft put the display restriction for metro apps in... not me!
  4. dunedago

dunedago Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know what to tell you. I am getting no stretch in the screen. Resolution looks normal. I used the HP driver for the Intel 500. The issues I am noticing I already stated plus:
    Map not showing up in the map app. Might fix itself.
    Still no screen rotation after driver install for NTrig. Hasn't self corrected like with the developer preview.... we shall see.

But no, no issues with image stretching with max resolution.

All other apps work fine except the pinball, havent tried it yet.
  5. dgoodisi

dgoodisi Scribbler - Standard Member

How did you get the ntrig driver to install?

I keep receiving a fatal error, even after setting compatibility mode to Windows 7.

So far I have installed the Intel GMA driver and the Broadcom Driver; both required setting compatibility mode to Windows 7.
  6. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just fresh installed the OS to ensure there were no hangover drivers or anything (there shouldn't have been but wanted to be thorough). Install from SD card took only 20 minutes including the format.

What works out of the box
    • Wireless - Sometimes, it fails to connect a lot
    • Input - Pen, Pen Button and Single Point Touch
    • Sound
    • Battery Meter
    • Rear Webcam

What doesn't work out of the box
    • Multi-Touch
    • Auto-Rotate
    • Camera
    • Metro Apps
    • Internet Explorer - The Metro One only
    • Front Webcam
    • Keyboard and Home buttons

How To Resolve Some Issue - These Are Links
    • Webcam - Install with Win7 Compatibility Mode

I am not going to get the multi-touch working because last time I installed the N-Trig drivers it decreased the responsiveness of the screen and the response of the touchscreen and pen right now is amazing; words alone cannot describe the level of improvement. Auto-Rotate bugs the **** outta me so I am not attempting to fix that either.

Wireless has issues connecting just like on the Developer Preview (cannot reach network style issues) however there are no virtual devices to disable this time (on Dev Preview this fixed WiFi) so I will live with it.

OS Comments

Control Panel has been banished from the Start Menu, to get it bring up the swipe menu on the start menu and hit "Settings" then hit "More Settings". Airplane mode has been integrated into the WiFi pane.

Windows Update now loads quickly instead of locking up the menu.
  7. dgoodisi

Just some quick comments to resolve some of the above.

Front camera is enabled by the HP Camera driver. I also installed the separate HP Camera Software an I am able to toggle between the 2 cameras.

I believe HP's Quick Launch package enables the auto-rotate; as well as the keyboard and home buttons. I am installing Office and will check when completed.

Update: As mentioned above the method to get auto-rotation that worked with the Dev preview did not work with the Consumer preview. Hopefully someone will figure this out :)
    Here is the direct link to that old method that no longer works
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/44587-windows-8-slate-500-a-5.html#post251553

The Internet Explorer launched from desktop mode is the non-metro version. The "Desktop" tile was moved to the far right on the new start screen. Press and hold, then you can drag the tiles where you want them. Click the Desktop tile to go into desktop mode, then the IE icon on the taskbar launches the standard version of IE.

Most of the metro apps only work if you change the resolution to 1024x768 (requires Intel drivers).
  8. CruciasNZ

CruciasNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I know that thanks dgoodisi, I accidentally hit post instead of preview. I was going to post how to resolve the non-working bits so other people can see a guide on the front page of this thread. A big fat case of derp!
  9. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been unable to get multitouch working, and I might not because of the responsiveness above and most importantly, double tap to zoom implementation in IE, which was a killer in the DP. Extracting DPInst has not worked like before.

I am going to see if the quick launch is what gives us hardware key functionality as well.
  10. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

My job and family are really getting in the way of jumping on the bleeding edge.

Please provide links and/or file names for drivers/software that you use to resolve issues.

One question - dunedago references the "HP driver for the Slate 500" while dgoodisi references the "Intel GMA driver". I thought they were two different drivers for the same chip. Does one or the other do more/less or better/worse? Does one or the other cause/cure rictorg's pillar boxes? Or am I mistaken and you need both?
  11. dgoodisi

All of my drivers came from the HP support site. dunedago and I were both referencing the same graphics driver.

I installed the following drivers:
    Intel High-Definition Graphics Driver (sp50504)
    Broadcom CrystalHD Video Decoder (sp50501)
    Webcam Driver (sp50506)
    Camera Software (sp50159)

I attempted to install the nTrig driver; both from HP's support site and from nTrig directly; with no success.

I also attempted the Win8 Dev Preview fix for auto-rotation with no success.

Everything else seems to work out of the box; first full day of use is tomorrow.
  12. rictorg

rictorg Pen Pal - Newbie

Both the HP and official Intel drivers enable the native 1024 by 600 and the 1024 by 768. In the advanced options of both, you can select pillar box or stretch-o-vision. Everyone has their pet peeves when it comes to display. Mine happens to be aspect ratio.
  13. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Downloaded yesterday but was too busy to play with the Slate last night. Hopefully, I'll get to it today. I have serious space limitations (kudos to those of you who put in larger SSDs). The best I can do for a dual boot partition is 12GB. Any reason not to install in a 12GB partition?
  14. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

This isn't a good sign. When I install Office 2010, and I let the slate go to sleep or shut down, it can't start up again. Twice now, I've had to restore the OS to a point where it isn't installed.

By the way, I have gotten the keyboard button half working by installing HP hotkey support. It only appears 1/100th of the time, but always can be minimized, just not brought up. Home button still doesn't work.
  15. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Looks like I am not the only one having issues getting Ntrig installed. Was able to get auto-rotate working though.

Hosed it trying to get Ntrig installed, going through a reinstall at the moment. Not as easy as the DP version. :( I am going to leave the Ntrig off for now. Grrrrr.
  16. dgoodisi

Auto-rotation also started working for me as well.

My current annoyance is the lack of icon when you tap/touch a text field. Under CP (and Win7) when entering a text field a TIP icon would appear just below the field. Tap the icon to open the TIP.

With CP this does not happen when in desktop mode, only when in Metro.
  17. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you elaborate on the process to get auto-rotate working? Was it anything different than described above or was it luck? It would ease my frustration greatly to find out.
  18. HerrJansen

HerrJansen Pen Pal - Newbie

- Did anybody manage to give the new 'music' app a dlna server or path to their local music files?

- I experienced slow perfomance of the slate 500, since metro apps are not closed but clogg the memory while staying in the background.

- Windows Media Center is awfully slow. Any suggestions how to speed up?
  19. rictorg

rictorg Pen Pal - Newbie

Thoughts on day three:

-Office 2010 x86 installed without a hitch. Inking in One Note is significantly better, and I did not load the nTrig drivers.
    -Internet Explorer 10 (desktop) has to this point been completely incompatible with my CAC card secured sites, but Chrome has worked in its place.
    -It hasn't been very stable. I left it on last night so dropbox would sync and it crashed at some point in the evening. It also crashes every time I run the silly windows experience benchmark.
    -I miss the start button. I had to rotate IE for windows explorer so that I'd stop pulling up the web every time I wanted to do something.
  20. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Is multi-touch working on the Slate 500/Slate 2? The group over in the Fujitsu room are having issues with the N-trig drivers on the Q550. Just wondering if all is fine with the N-trig on the Slates....