Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Seketh, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

2G tm2. The thing I didn't do yet though is install all the drivers that you had listed in your sticky on the tm2 forum, and just used the stock stuff from Windows. I'm probably going to try another clean install with those drivers installed and see what happens during my next class to try to keep it consistent.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I am using the 2740p full time for the first time since I bought it couple of months ago due to Windows 8 (been using trusty 2730p for 3 years), and holy ****, what the hell is up with the Wacom driver?!? HP's drivers only give you pressure for native Ink programs, and Wacom's ISD Dual Touch driver just DESTROYS Ink quality and kills pressure on Journal and TIP! Has it always been this way with multi touch Penabled Tablet PCs?

This god awful Wacom ISD driver dates back to September or 2010 and they don't have earlier Penabled drivers anywhere on their site! F'n hell...

So now I have to choose between no pressure on Photoshop and Painter or AWFUL Ink quality. That's no f'n choice a**holes! Wacom driver team needs to be taken out back and flogged.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

here's Xbox Companion running on my ancient (4 year old) HP TX2000 laptop...

There are no video drivers for the TX2000 notebook since it's 4 years old. You can use the Vista driver (there's not even a Windows 7 driver for this notebook, thanks, HP) but it's flaky since Windows 8 uses a new foundation. So this video is showing the default Microsoft VGA driver (that's why the desktop is stretched 1024x768 and has bad animation performance). Also my Tablet PC has a resistive screen with an active digitizer so it's not ideal for finger touch.

Windows 8 consumer preview and Xbox Companion, Xbox 360 - YouTube

I'm testing out the consumer preview version of Windows 8 on my HP TX2000 (a convertible Tablet PC) and the Xbox Companion app works! I'm controlling my 360 through my notebook.

Right now, I can't really use the TX2000 well with Windows 8 because there's no video driver (it's using the default Microsoft VGA driver) so I'm stuck at an ugly 1024x768 and it's stretched horizontally.

But the touch interface is working and it's like having a big 12.1" remote control. But it's not a replica of the 360 dashboard.

You have the bing search, quickplay, videos, games, and music categories. So let's say you see the Puss in Boots trailer. You can either play it on the notebook or you can play it on the Xbox.

If you go to launch a game from your games list or quickplay, it'll bring up the page of the game.

You can even bring up Xbox controls on the notebook and it's like using the D-pad with the A, B, X, and Y buttons.

I'm totally unfamiliar with Windows 8 so navigating is a bit daunting. Like I was playing the Puss in Boots trailer on the notebook. I then hit the home button in the upper left corner of the screen which brought me home to the Xbox Companion app. I could hear the video still playing but couldn't see it (at the main page of Xbox Companion). I then had no idea how to get back to the video. I went back to the Start page for Windows and couldn't hear the audio anymore. But I switch back to the Xbox Companion app and the audio resumed at where I left it. So I'm not understanding how multitasking is working or how to manage apps under Windows 8.

And because it's lacking drivers for a lot of my notebook hardware (old hardware), the performance is not optimal, but it's pretty cool!

5. kjlietz

kjlietz Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed W8 on my HP TX 2140eg. First I had the same problems like dirtyvu. Then I downloaded the old vista drivers from HP.
    In desktop mode I rightclicked on the file an chose handle compatibility problems and chose vista compatibility. I did this for the graphics and the video driver. And voilá I had 1280x800.
    It might be that some games metro apps won´t work. But still it is more fun than in 1024x768.

Kai

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm in the middle of getting Win8 to work on some spare harddisk on my TC4400.

WDS obviously is not the method of choice. The boot.wim from the Consumer Preview does simply not work, also not on my T421x, and those from Vista or Windows 7 end in a setup error.

So I'm currently looking at a progress bar for copying installation files to a thumb drive...

7. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

has anyone found a fix to enable the snap feature on resolutions lower than the spec requires. my acer iconia w500 is close at 1280x800 and i would like to get it enabled.

the old fix no longer works.

8. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

You guys can probably find a recent driver here: laptopvideo2go.com

You can try these: 295.73 64Bit or 295.73 32Bit

Download the driver and download the "INF Modified". Then simply copy the modified INF to where you extracted the drivers (be sure to overwrite the old file) and install the drivers.

(Notice: These drivers are compatible with Windows 8, but if they won't install, try to use Windows 7 compability mode!)

If you have trouble installing the drivers, just ask here or send me a PM, I'll gladly help! ;)

9. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

I did install the Vista driver from HP for the TX2000 and it did give me 1280x800. But it was flaky. Sometimes the screen would blank out and if I moved the cursor over the button in the lower right corner, it would hardlock the system for about 4 seconds before giving me access. This didn't happen with the Microsoft default driver.

10. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks! I'll try it out. :)

*edit* alright. I tried out the 295.73 drivers with the modified INF. same problems. it's just not as stable as the default Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. sad that the TX2000 will have to be put out to pasture... well, I can still use it, but just not like a modern tablet. And it doesn't support multitouch so I can't do any multifinger maneuvers like pinching or rotations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.