Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Seketh, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

has anyone figured out how to use the swipe motions that were used to nagivate on windows 7 windows explorer on windows 8 windows explorer desktop?

2. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

It's been restricted to the pen only I believe, doesn't work for touch.

3. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

meh..... bad choice.

4. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

hasn't anyone gotten Windows 8 to work on an HP Pavilion TX2000? I tried way back when with the developer build but because I couldn't get video drivers (and the default Microsoft generic VGA driver ran horribly) to work, I shelved it.

but I just recently tried to install the x64 version and still no compatible video driver. now i'm installing the x86 version and hopefully that'll work.

5. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

When will CP expire?

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The preview apps need some work. Calendar needs to let me choose which accounts to show (similar to WP7). So does People.

I'm having some issues getting everything working on my older hardware as well. For some reason I can't actually CLICK with my touchscreen, though dragging and all that is working fine.

More apps would be helpful as well, because it's hard to get a feel when there's only a few Metro apps I'm using so far.

It's still a little rough around the edges in general for me. That being said, I see even more promise than I did from the Consumer Preview.

7. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw 15th Jan 13 somewhere !

8. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

For the 'fun' of it I install the W8 64bit ver under virtual box (4.1.8 or curr version), on a 4gb Fujitsu T5010, running 32 bit Vista Bus

Enough it get a feel for it, but I could only allocate approx 1280 Mb ram.
    So things ran a bit clunky. I haven't used VB for a while, & no expert, so I'm not sure how much I can tweek it to run better.

I was surprised it was a fairly smooth install under VB, and mainly accepting defaults. Although under VB, the default W8 option is the 32bit ver, which I didn't realise until VB rejected the 64bit iso & I had to start again.

I didn't enable net connections, that dulled the expierence a bit, but I don't have a Live A/C anyway.

I allocated 20gb disk space under VB, but it so far 'only' used up 8gb.

So any Fujitsu users with a T5010 or later, shouldn't expect to have too many problems getting W8 CP up and running on a spare parition. Though I haven't tested all the bits like - camera, buttons etc. nor fingerprint scanner(might have to wait for the final version for that) etc.

But I will try the 32bit ver. & see if that makes much difference. And then I might get around to dual booting off the HD, which I would expect a lot smoother operation, although I would much prefer to have a touch enabled screen. (any ideas on how to replace my screen ?)

Although MS, don't recommend using a virtual machine, if you already have 64bit win installed & plenty of ram say 4mb+, and a fast HD, and a touch screen then you might get a reasonable experience(presuming the touch screen works ok).

Regards

9. gothattny

gothattny Pen Pal - Newbie

I keep getting an error that my desired partition must be "gpt" or somesuch, and that it contains an MBR. I deleted the partiton and tried again, with the same error. What do I need to do to create an acceptable partition?

UPDATE
    I had Win8 Dev on this partition. I deleted it and then recreated it for Win8 Cons. I am begining to wonder if the issue is the flash drive or how I created the boot image. It seems illogical that I could install the Win8 dev on a partition, but not Win8 cons.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm just using vlite to reduce the footprint of Win8 and so far it seems to be working (Currently building the iso image)

Dell Latitude ST - All functions apart from the camera
    HP 2740p - All functions apart from the camera and the two launch keys on the side. Rotation and sound work

Ohhhhh yeaaahhhh!
    2740p, 2730p, 2710p & x220t
    [​IMG]

+ the Dell touch screen 24" monitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.